Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Offset Curb Sewer Line

We have only recently started getting some water backed up into the basement shower (Iowest and closest point to the street). I used an auger from the toilet hole and cleared it.

Two weeks later the main sewer line clogged fully which backed up into the basement. Water and crap was overflowing into the basement.

The plumber came and snaked the line from the curb towards the street and it cleared quickly. He ran the camera and the line to the house and clear and in good shape.

He said that the 8 ft long vertical curb line/cleanout at the sidewalk is offset and that is the reason we got a clog. I looked down the hole with a flashlight and there is a slightly shifted middle section of pipe but it looks like that section is above where the waste comes from house and flows to the street.

My questions are:

1. Using the photo and description, what is your opinion of the problem? Is the plumbers assessment correct or was he trying to pull one over on me?

2. Does this sound like just a clog from using Charmin in a cast iron piping?

3. Based on what you think the problem/solution is, what is a good price for getting this fixed?

Thanks in advance Everyone!
Attached Images

psubaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 0

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubaron View Post
We have only recently started getting some water backed up into the basement shower. I used an auger from the toilet hole and cleared it. Two weeks later the main sewer line clogged fully which backed up into the basement. Water and crap was overflowing into the basement.
AKA the landlords baptism

Quote:
The plumber came and snaked the line from the curb towards the street and it cleared quickly.
What are you calling the curb?
Did he not snake the line from INSIDE the house out to the street?

How old is your house?
Have you asked your neighbors how many have had their lines replaced?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Hey again Tarheel Terp. The plumber only snaked from the curb down about 10ft total from the surface. That cleared the drain and he then inserted the camera from the sidewalk and ran to the house.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Quote:
The plumber only snaked from the curb down about 10ft total from the surface.
What are you calling the curb?
The curbstone at the street where you park the car?

btw no one cares about vertical.... it's the horizontal that matters
(see pic at bottom)
Quote:
That cleared the drain and he then inserted the camera from the sidewalk and ran to the house.
Again...did he not snake the line from INSIDE the house horizontally through the whole pipe and out to the street?

How old is your house?
Have you asked your neighbors if or how many have had their lines replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Offset Curb Sewer Line-wasteline.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Apologies....not the curb. Its the vertical 8ft long pipe (the overflow/gas relief I think?) In the sidewalk.

No he went from the sidewalk vertical to the inside.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 48

Offset Curb Sewer Line

The picture appears to only show the clean out riser- not the sewer line itself
Get more bids
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Yes I also just thought it was a vertical section of the cleanout which has nothing to do with the actual line going from the house to the connection to the street.

I do apologize for not knowing proper nomenclature for items described. I am learning for the first time.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 48

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Looked at the picture one more time- looks like a cast iron riser(appears to be thin walled pipe) but the fitting at the base looks like clay(thick wall at the offset) If it is truly clay you need to seriously start saving for a replacement. Clay is joined every 3 ft and tends to get a lot of roots. It also cracks and offsets with age
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Offset Curb Sewer Line

I was told that the even the bottom section was an older thick cast iron and the riser was thin walled. Again, I am no expert so I am going off what others have told me.
So in your opinion the offset wouldn't cause the clog/backup? I bought this house almost two years ago with no problems til now. Before me, my wife's grandparents and Dad were living here for 40 years and they only had clogs and had someone come snake the drain twice in that time.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Quote:
I was told that the even the bottom section was an older thick cast iron and the riser was thin walled. Again, I am no expert so I am going off what others have told me.
No need to apologize for not knowing stuff.
But we do sometimes have to "pull teeth" to get the pertinent info.
Some mistake that for being rude or mean... not the case.

Quote:
So in your opinion the offset wouldn't cause the clog/backup?
The offset, the riser, the clean out and the vertical pipe you have
pretty pictures of is all ABOVE where the "clog" would be.

The concern is the nature of that "clog"

At 40 plus years... that old clay WILL fail.
It's about about if or could... it's *when*
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 26

Offset Curb Sewer Line

To answer your question which you keep asking and no one replies too the answer is no not from whats in that picture that would not cause a back up now you may have another offset he seen with the camera in the main or lateral?get a second opinion. i don't know about your area but down here most city public works departments will take care of anything past the second clean out, wait for a second back up use a different company and see what they tell you or get the city and see if they will camera it for free.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #12

Offset Curb Sewer Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles
To answer your question which you keep asking and no one replies too the answer is no not from whats in that picture that would not cause a back up now you may have another offset he seen with the camera in the main or lateral?get a second opinion. i don't know about your area but down here most city public works departments will take care of anything past the second clean out, wait for a second back up use a different company and see what they tell you or get the city and see if they will camera it for free.
Thanks for the answer. I believe he was making it up because he came to that conclusion as soon as he opened the cover and we shined a light down and saw just what I posted. There wasn't any clog or material visible. He then snaked several feet beyond the bottom of the vertical and found the clog which cleared the line. He then ran the camera from the sidewalk into the house and there were no trouble areas. So I couldn't gather how he determined that the vertical offset was the cause.