Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Odor after hot showers...

...I've read other posts on this and seen many options and I'm worried mine is going to require taking out the shower basin.

Last year the shower in our master bathroom was leaking into the bedroom.
I found this out by the water puddling in the doorway to the bathroom.
A week after I told my wife to dry her feet before she came out I knew it had to be something else as the water remained.

I pulled up the carpet and tracked the water back along the wall to the point directly behind the taps and shower head.

I re-caulked the shower pan in places and poured a saucepan of boiling water down the drain (which I now do monthly) and the leak stopped.
However after hot showers we get the smell which goes away after an hour or so.

I'm worried the water that was leaking into the bedroom is still under the pan and mold is growing. What do you think?

Our sewer overflow outside the house has the guttering flowing into it and I'm concerned that may have been blocked but its clean. We have the cage to stop anything going down the downspout except water and no grass is growing into it.

cpltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

What-type-of-a-shower-pan-do-you-have?
Is-it-ceramic-tile?
Is-it-plastic?
Is-it-a-cultured-stone?
What?

How-old-is-this-shower-pan?

Pouring boiling water into any drain is not the wisest thing a person could do I don't think. I'm wondering what the thought process is in doing that.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
What-type-of-a-shower-pan-do-you-have?
Is-it-ceramic-tile?
Is-it-plastic?
Is-it-a-cultured-stone?
What?
Its ceramic tile

Quote:
How-old-is-this-shower-pan?
I'm not sure, but I'm going to say less than 10 years.

Quote:
Pouring boiling water into any drain is not the wisest thing a person could do I don't think. I'm wondering what the thought process is in doing that.
We called out a plumber because of a clogged drain, he recommended a pan once a month down the shower drain and sink to clear out anything that may build up rather than use the powder that eats away and can cause more blockages.

What are your thoughts on the boiling water?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Tileguy

There are several ways to build ceramic tile shower receptors but ten years ago there weren't that many techniques being used. Typically the tile is applied to a concrete base. Under that base is a vinyl pan-liner. Under that pan-liner there should be one more concrete base that is sloped to the drain. The vinyl liner collects the water that gets thru the concrete and directs it to hidden weep holes above the vinyl at the drain.

If there is no primary slope the water collects on the flat vinyl and the concrete never has an opportunity to drain. If the weeps holes become clogged the concrete never has chance to drain.

Water sitting in the concrete and not exchanging on a regular basis is a problem. The concrete becomes saturated with soap scum and body tissue and who knows what else and begins to rot. Yes mold and mildew can also grow. Typically the o-so-common odors that come from a bathroom with a tile shower are from a saturated concrete shower pan that wasn't properly installed to begin with.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the boiling water?
Not knowing what type of plumbing pipe fixtures and methods were used it seems risky to me to be deliberately pouring boiling water into what may be a plastic drain system held together with plastic cement or who knows what else. I would think that in time this could cause problems in a residential setting. I have no idea what temperature-rating all that plastic is rated at but it doesn't seem wise to me. I'm surprised a plumber would suggest it. If boiling water is capable of dislodging potential blockages then what effect can it have sitting in a trap and working on pipe cement? No one really knows what type of home owner repairs or tricks were performed in the past. I know I see some really crazy stuff once in a while.

PVC piping is rated at around 140 degrees Fahrenheit and boiling water 212 degrees Fahrenheit. Makes me wonder.

But hey...what do I know about plumbing!

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
There are several ways to build ceramic tile shower receptors but ten years ago there weren't that many techniques being used. Typically the tile is applied to a concrete base. Under that base is a vinyl pan-liner. Under that pan-liner there should be one more concrete base that is sloped to the drain. The vinyl liner collects the water that gets thru the concrete and directs it to hidden weep holes above the vinyl at the drain.

If there is no primary slope the water collects on the flat vinyl and the concrete never has an opportunity to drain. If the weeps holes become clogged the concrete never has chance to drain.

Water sitting in the concrete and not exchanging on a regular basis is a problem. The concrete becomes saturated with soap scum and body tissue and who knows what else and begins to rot. Yes mold and mildew can also grow. Typically the o-so-common odors that come from a bathroom with a tile shower are from a saturated concrete shower pan that wasn't properly installed to begin with.
I'm not sure if its bad enough that I want to cut away at the shower.....

Quote:
Not knowing what type of plumbing pipe fixtures and methods were used it seems risky to me to be deliberately pouring boiling water into what may be a plastic drain system held together with plastic cement or who knows what else. I would think that in time this could cause problems in a residential setting. I have no idea what temperature-rating all that plastic is rated at but it doesn't seem wise to me. I'm surprised a plumber would suggest it. If boiling water is capable of dislodging potential blockages then what effect can it have sitting in a trap and working on pipe cement? No one really knows what type of home owner repairs or tricks were performed in the past. I know I see some really crazy stuff once in a while.

But hey...what do I know about plumbing!
No more boiling water going down the pipes...the 3 I've put down so far will be enough to clear any clogs. Thank you
Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm not sure if its bad enough that I want to cut away at the shower.....
I understand.
Shower re-builds can be expensive.
The thing is...if it is leaking it will only cause damage to wall and floor interiors that you probably can't see happening. Water damage could be extensive before you ever realize it.

Quote:
No more boiling water going down the pipes...the 3 I've put down so far will be enough to clear any clogs. Thank you
Yow, personally I can't see any good coming from that technique but like I say: "That's just me".

I think a typical "hot-shower" is with water around 84 degrees. Even hotel hot tubs are set at a max of about 104 degrees and that's hot. Water at 212 degrees running through pipes rated for 140 degrees just seems over the top to me.

I know (for example) my wife occasionally pours boiling water from cooking spaghetti down our sink drain while running cold water and even that gets my attention. We have occasional issues with leaks under the sinks and I don't know the real cause but the boiling water is suspect in my book.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

Living in the house for 2 years....and I got the shower basin wrong.

Its a tile basin, not a one piece unit.
The smell IS coming from the drain, nowhere else.

I'm not sure if there is water in the trap for the shower....when the water goes down you hear it draining.
I'll shine a light down there tonight and see what I can see.
But I'm not sure how it can be empty of trap water with the amount of showers we take.

It's been snaked by me and a plumber along with the sink drain last year and bleached so its clear.

Last edited by cpltony; 12-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.