Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

odd sewer main clog

google took me here.

a little history.
my wife and i bought our home in early march of 2012. it was forclosure and had been empty since 2009 early 2010, according to the neighbors. im guessing since the previous owners bought in 2007 for 350k and had a 50k loan out, they just got caught up in the housing crisis. i purchased for 190k.

history of the house.

right outside of bosto, built in 1857. since this was my first home purchase ever, i was nervous and had alot of questions with both the realtor and the inspector.
heating system and hot water heater are 3 months old. previous owner ran no oil and pipes froze. bank replaced everything.

now the weird find

during the inspection i questioned everything. we looked at the sewer mains and i asked everything because i had no prior knowledge of sewer systems. everything worked fine. ran all 3 bathrooms at the same time for about 10 minutes and nothing, everything worked.

yesterday my wife called about water backing up into the first floor shower stall. so i checked the pipes in the basement and found the entire house was filled with water. drained out to the main line to the street. i had a plumber friend snake the line and he found alot of baby wipes/clorox wipes. he had 50ft out and the road is about 30 from the front foundation but the line is angled so who knows where it goes. he couldnt get it so i called rotorooter and they went out about 60-75 feet and found more wipes. then things got interesting. the snake bound up so he pulled it out. thats when he saw this in the pipe. i taped it on my phone because he could not beleive what he was seeing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci159...g_yMcXpZKQ5lE=

he said there was no reason for 50' of garden hose to be in that pipe.

so whats your take on it

mkIIslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,028

odd sewer main clog

Wow! That almost looks like some kind of a Magic act.
A previous owner may have stuffed a running hose down an opening to try to improve drain time.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,004

odd sewer main clog

How does it drain now??
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 602

odd sewer main clog

LMAO I have seen this type of thing a hundred times, you need to get a real plumbing company to go out and check and trace that line, chances are that cable came up through a line and grabbed a garden hose and pulled it back. Someone is missing a garden hose. Roto Rooter is one of the worst companies you could call. From the look of that hose it does not look like itís been in a sewer line. I could tell you stories of calls we go out to that roto rooter have been on, clueless customers expecting top notch plumbers but getting inexperienced technicians yes technicians that what they call them because most of the work force are not plumbers, have that line videoed and traced no more guessing.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

odd sewer main clog

I was told by 3 plumbers to call them.all would not snake the line.they are sending a camera out and so far the drains cLear but he said there was a little sand in the line
mkIIslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

odd sewer main clog

Quote:
during the inspection i questioned everything. we looked at the sewer mains and i asked everything because i had no prior knowledge of sewer systems. everything worked fine. ran all 3 bathrooms at the same time for about 10 minutes and nothing, everything worked.

I'm curious, did you actually look at the sewer main by running a camera down the line? Or did the inspector just run water in the sinks and toilets?

The only way to properly determine the functionality and structural integrity of the sewer lateral would be to run a camera down the line. Simply running water doesn't tell you much unless there's a complete blockage in the line. Water will pretty much find it's way around anything. When actually being "used" however with paper and solids is where a real problem (as you've found) can be discovered.

Going forward (if you ever purchase another property), it's a good idea to have the sewer lateral inspected with a video camera prior to purchase. Likewise, it was good practice for the other plumbers you spoke with to insist on running a camera prior to running a snake.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-02-2012), PaliBob (04-02-2012), Plumber101 (04-01-2012)