Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

Oatey plumbers putty on pvc

I am getting ready to put the rock back in the pit below my new bathtub. I used all pvc pipe and fittings, and the plumbing was already roughed in. To tighten the nut on my trap was quite a chore, very little room to work in, but I managed to get it tight. It may have a very slight leak, but I don't want to take a chance on tightening it any more as I am afraid the nut will break (1 1/2 pvc) and that would be disastrous. I put some Oatey plumbers putty around both the top of the nut and the underside of the nut, below the threads. Now, Oatey says not to use on plastic and I am wondering if I should remove the plumbers putty? If there is a leak it is so slight that it is barely noticeable, I just felt a little wetness after I drained the bathtub, but the nut was extremely difficult to tighten.

boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Putty's not going to do any good.
There can not be any leaks, not even a small one.
Mold, drawing in termites to the moist area are just two of the issues.
If it's going to be an inexcusable area it should have been glued fittings.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

You can't use that kind of trap where it is inaccesible.
ben's plumbing (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

I had no choice in the matter as to the placement of the trap. This is in a basement and the rough in plumbing was already there, the house was built in 2004. The contractor left a gravel filled pit with the 2" pvc pipe capped off inside the pit and covered with gravel. I removed the gravel, figured out the pvc piping and fittings, all the fittings were glued with pvc cement, except for the one nut. I had a very hard time tightening that nut, but got it tight. Maybe I better remove the plumbers putty, refill the tub and check that jam nut one more time. If it's not leaking then I will replace the gravel up to the level of the concrete floor. I was told not to cover the pit with concrete and won't, but may put a real thin skim coat of floor leveler over the pit to stop bugs etc.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker27 View Post
I had no choice in the matter as to the placement of the trap. This is in a basement and the rough in plumbing was already there, the house was built in 2004. The contractor left a gravel filled pit with the 2" pvc pipe capped off inside the pit and covered with gravel. I removed the gravel, figured out the pvc piping and fittings, all the fittings were glued with pvc cement, except for the one nut. I had a very hard time tightening that nut, but got it tight. Maybe I better remove the plumbers putty, refill the tub and check that jam nut one more time. If it's not leaking then I will replace the gravel up to the level of the concrete floor. I was told not to cover the pit with concrete and won't, but may put a real thin skim coat of floor leveler over the pit to stop bugs etc.
Let me rephrase that. You can ONLY use a solvent weld trap where it is inaccessible. The placement of the trap makes no difference in regards to whether or not a solvent weld trap will work. You have to use a solvent weld trap, for the very reason of the leaking.

Also, just for the sake of discussion : You also SHALL NOT use a slip joint waste/overflow kit. It must also be solvent weld.
TYIA
Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

get some teflon based pipe dope and apply some to the male threads and some on the union joint. The main reason to do this is to reduced friction on the threads.

Plumbing code do not allow unions in inaccessible locations such as yours- the reason is they leak, as if you didn't know that
All joints should be glued, including the trap and tailpiece

Edit- Alan beat me to it.....

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

every joint is glued except for this one nut. I can't change it to all glued at this point because I would have to lift the cast iron bathtub out and that would mean taking down the Durarock and ceiling so I can hang come alongs. It's my mistake. Since it should have been all glued joints I will get some good silicone and silicone the top and bottom of the nut. I really don't know for sure if it is even leaking, could have been a little water dribbled down the side and went into the pit, I just didn't want to take any chances. Since there is no pressure, just drain water from the shower/bathtub I should be alright. Believe me, if there was room I would change it, but the pvc pipe is so tight in the pit that I am afraid that if I try and change it I will have to rip up some concrete floor.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker27 View Post
every joint is glued except for this one nut. I can't change it to all glued at this point because I would have to lift the cast iron bathtub out and that would mean taking down the Durarock and ceiling so I can hang come alongs. It's my mistake. Since it should have been all glued joints I will get some good silicone and silicone the top and bottom of the nut. I really don't know for sure if it is even leaking, could have been a little water dribbled down the side and went into the pit, I just didn't want to take any chances. Since there is no pressure, just drain water from the shower/bathtub I should be alright. Believe me, if there was room I would change it, but the pvc pipe is so tight in the pit that I am afraid that if I try and change it I will have to rip up some concrete floor.
ok fair enough you see the job we don't hope it all works out...I would try teflon on it as E said that will help seal....get big blue tape if you can its awesome...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
boilermaker27 (02-08-2014), plummen (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Doing it myself

I've hooked up plenty of p-traps from underneath a tub with a hole like that. I know exactly what you mean. It's a pain in the rear end, but it's not impossible. IF it's not sealing, the alignment is probably off, so if you can't get it to stop leaking you may need to cut it out anyway.
ben's plumbing (02-09-2014), plummen (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
ok fair enough you see the job we don't hope it all works out...I would try teflon on it as E said that will help seal....get big blue tape if you can its awesome...ben sr
Plumbers putty on outside of joint wont solve anything.
Run really hot water down the drain for 10 mins,then tighten up the nut again.
Once it cools back down it will shrink fit itself,no leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-09-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #11

Thanks everyone