Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

not new to DIY but new to ask for help :D

i understand the reason why there are businesses for doing the job.. but i enjoy doing it myself and because of finances.. prefer to take time in doing it... but find myself in a pickle now.

I have already done for the most part redoing my copper in house.. but am wanting to have a plumber come and check out my work... i dont mind paying a fee for someone to come out and double check my work.. ..
just asking what are thoughts on this... should i do myself if i can or just hire someone to do the job instead, and do those who do the work.. how do they feel about DIY'rs

rumva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

Sometimes trades, especially licensed trades, don't like to check DIY work. It basically puts the responsibility of whether or not the job was done right on their shoulders, when in fact they did none of the work.

Inspectors and inspections will tell you if you did the job incorrectly. A re-inspection fee is probably less if you fail on the first round than paying a pro to come check your work.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,462

As a plumber, I would come and review your project if it was convenient for my schedule. I do it with real estate sales often. Seller/ buyer are squabbling over a repair - I give a quote then make the repair to the seller or they adjust the selling price and pay me fee. Either way I leave with something in my pocket.
But some won't waste their time with DIy'ers. It depends on money- that's the bottom line.

What is this pickle you talk about?

Last edited by TheEplumber; 06-04-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
rumva (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

just feeling guilty about doin the work.. and also.. should i go with someone off of like angies/craigslist or go thru local businesses
Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

You could posts some pictures of your problem areas or concerns. There are lots of people here that can walk you through any hiccups. Nothing better than the satisfaction of doing your own work and saving some money
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Your post is bizarre.

Since you are talking copper, I would assume you mean supply lines, not DWV lines. If you used copper for DWV, you are not short of cash, unless you used it all on Large Diameter DWV copper, which makes no sense whatsoever when 3 and 4 inch PVC is so inexpensive.

As far as supply lines go, either you have confidence in your work, or you don't. There is no way that a pro can tell if you have fully engaged the male end of a pipe into the bell of a fitting.

The question of type, sizing and how to run your copper supplies is a question to ask before you do the work, not something to ask about after the fact.

What is it that you are actually concerned about?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 156

People here can help you to be sure. You need to be a bit more clear on what you are asking for help with.

I agree that if you don't have the confidence that you are doing something right or not, it is kind of locking the barn door after the horses escaped. Those questions are best suited before doing something. It is a lot cheaper to do something right the first time than to have to do it over even if you are doing it yourself.

As far as who to hire and how to get the information of a reputable plumber, ask friends, use Google, I know that there are tradesman rating sites but I don't know what the names of them are. A little research goes a long way.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FClef For This Useful Post:
rumva (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

ill post a couple of pic's in abit.. ... and the my issue was more of not in confidence in my work just how folks react to DIY'rs and then having them come in to inspect, but as mentioned earlier.. some are professional about it and some not... its a hit and miss...
but as parts go... correct on feeds.. it was a '27 bungalo and prior owners kinda of ran the feeds all over the place.. im just trying to reroute the mess.. used type L copper both 1/2 in and 3/4 in - put in a water manifold and also a new shut off to a water filtration system... and i agree on that part... kinda redundant of locking the barn after the fact.. but did alot of research both online and thru local hardware stores before starting the work... had a few compliments from retired folks on my work which is always a nice thing..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Were any of those retired folks retired plumbers?

Sounds like you did fine, but Im not reading you on the manifold. With copper, you usually run a main of 3/4 or 1 inch, then run 1/2 inch branch lines off reducing tees to your fixtures. I have re-plumbed houses where if you look at the ceiling you think you are looking at a french horn, because the pipes go all over the place. If you used the most direct routes, and the least amount of fittings you are probably fine.

I actually love working with copper, you clean and flux everything and secure it in place, then sweat all your connections at the same time. The key with copper is Clean. Thats why I never buy individual fittings or pipe from big box stores where the AH's put price tag stickers on them.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
rumva (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

If you want your work verified- find a guy from your local want ad paper, give him a call. Smaller shops seem to be more open to your plan. But a few pictures here will get a good response too- from fellow DIY'rs and pros.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #11

1st pic.. . left pipe which is 1/2in is outside water feed - center pipe is current water feed to how.. only 1 pipe for everything. right is new feed with a bypass for water filtering system to be put in.

not new to DIY but new to ask for help :D-20130605_090108.jpg
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

2nd photo ... is the seperate feeds - kitchen - bathroom toilet/sink - shower - washer - the hot water feed is coming off before the manifold
Attached Thumbnails
not new to DIY but new to ask for help :D-20130605_090115.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

removed - redundant

Last edited by rumva; 06-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #14

there are no current shut off valves except what was at the sinks and individual outdoor pipes and at the meter... not even for the toilet or shower

Last edited by rumva; 06-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

for the water filter system.. was converting it to PEX to run the feed and return lines