Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |

Not getting enough hot water

I posted this on another website and never got any answers. Then, I found this place and thought I would try here.

Hi, i've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my new electric water heater. I just got it maybe late summer. I didn't really notice a problem until it got colder and, of course, I started needing hot water.

I can't seem to get the water to stay hot long enough. I have a 30 gallon electric Whirlpool tank and it is only me who uses it. I usually have to cut my shower in 2, meaning I wash my hair seperately because the hot water does not stay hot long enough to do both at the same time. I can' t even think of taking a bath.

Whirlpool only covers parts, even though it is brand spanking new, so I can't have someone figure it out for me.
Whirlpool said it is probably an element. But I tested the top and bottom elements with my Multimeter and both test fine 16+. I also turned off the cold inlet and turned on the hot water sink faucet and the water stopped with the inlet turned off.

My thermostat is turned up to about 120. I talked to my dad one day and he mentioned taking out the elenent to check anyway. I can't see how the multimeter would say it is fine but for something to be wrong with it. But if all else fails I will.

I haven't tested the thermostat yet because I can't find good instructions on how to go about it. Is it as simple as testing the elements? Also because the problem seems to point to the elements or a cross in the lines.
I don't know for sure if there is a cross. My bathroom shower does have the hot side cold and cold side hot, it was that way when I moved in, but I figured it was because of the cartridge in the faucet handle. I plan on checking when I get a chance.

Sorry this is so long. Does anyone know of any other reason or possible things to check on why I don't get enough hot water. I really appreciate any help!

P.S. I had so many problems with my old almost 30 year old water heater before I can't say for sure if I had the problem before this water heater. I hadn't had a decent shower for a long while because of its age/ issues and my lack of funds to replace it.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

I forgot to add that my water heater makes a somewhat loud noise, that is hard to describe, once in awhile. Everyone tells me an electric water heater is not suppose to make any noise ?! Are electric water heaters suppose to make noise?

yepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

It is easy to see if the thermostat is working. Check the temperature setting on the thermostat. I believe you said it was 120 degrees F. Open the drain at the bottom of the hot water tank, and measure the temperature of the water that comes out. It should be 120 degrees F, if it is, the thermostat is OK.

You did not say how long your shower is. Bear in mind that the average shower head puts out anywhere from 1.5 gpm (water miser setting) to 5 gpm (old style water waster setting). You can verify how much flow you are getting, just put a 5 gallon bucket under the shower head, and measure how low long it takes to fill. If it fills in 2 minutes, you have a 2.5 gpm shower head.

You have a 30 gallon tank. So you should expect no more than 25 gallons of available hot water from your tank, which could be anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on flow rate, and whether you mix any cold water at the shower (probably not, at least at 120 degree setting).

So you need to determine if there really is a problem, or you have overambitious expectations for a 30 gallon tank. Make a few measurements, let us know the results, and we go on from there.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Thank you so much for taking he time to help and so quickly!

According to my shower head manual it is 2.5 gpm. Is that usually accurate or should I still test?
I need to get a thermometer that will measure the water temp. Thanks for reminding me. I wanted to test that last weekend but didn't have anything to do that.

I thought of the possibility of the water heater size but then it is only for one person and I do not use hot water for anything else. I don't use hot water in the sinks and I only use cold water to wash my clothes and my dishwasher has a built in heater so it doesn't take any hot water.

I didn't time it but I know last time my shower was less than 10 minutes. The last time I washed my hair the hot water ran out before I was able to rinse the conditioner out. Due to the lack of hot water I was my hair seperately with a hand held sprayer.

I know a 10 minute shower takes 25gallons but that would be full heat to use the full tank. I believe. When I shower I have it mildly hot only turning it part way and prefer to crank it up at the end of the shower. But I haven't been able to do that cause I have no hot water at the end.

My old water heater was a 52 gallon water heater. Even though it didn't really work I was holding out for a tankless so I had no plans on replacing it with anything else. But I got this 30 gallon one as a gift. I couldn't turn down a free brand new water heater when my wishlist one is way out of reach :o).
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I know a 10 minute shower takes 25gallons but that would be full heat to use the full tank. I believe. When I shower I have it mildly hot only turning it part way and prefer to crank it up at the end of the shower. But I haven't been able to do that cause I have no hot water at the end.
Ayuh,.... Turn the T-stat up to 140░,....
Then regulate the temp with the shower faucet...
Yer 25 gallons will last longer...

Btw,... The 25th gallon ain't gonna be as Hot, as the 1st gallon...
As soon as you turn on the faucet, cold water is enterin' the tank, lowerin' it's over all temps...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

you are not going to get any more than 15-22 gal of water hot enough to call a shower...because after the faucets are turned on you start to delute your 120 degree water....so your tank is ok...try turning up the temp as mentioned...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Thank you both!

Everything says to set the temp at 120. Also, i'm trying to save money. I will have to see what my parents set theirs at because they had a 40 gallon water heater and there was 4 of us and we rarely if ever had problems with loss of hot water.

So, is an electric water heater suppose to make a loud noise off and on? Everyone tells me electric water heaters are quite. Mine is not.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepican View Post
Thank you both!

Everything says to set the temp at 120. Also, i'm trying to save money. I will have to see what my parents set theirs at because they had a 40 gallon water heater and there was 4 of us and we rarely if ever had problems with loss of hot water.

So, is an electric water heater suppose to make a loud noise off and on? Everyone tells me electric water heaters are quite. Mine is not.
should not make any noise..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-t...r-element.html

Lots of times the noise you hear is solids built up on the bottom of the tank breaking loose.
At least once a year your suppost to attach a garden hose to the drain and drain some of the soilds out. If not they build up and short out the bottom elemant.
Testing the water coming out of that drain to see if it's 120 is not the right way. One element can heat the water to 120 deg. it just can not keep up fast enough to keep the water hot with incoming cold water with one element.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
should not make any noise..
Thank you very much! That alone I believe says something because mine can be quite loud at times. The Whirlpool lady said when the upper element cracks it makes a loud noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-t...r-element.html

Lots of times the noise you hear is solids built up on the bottom of the tank breaking loose.
At least once a year your suppost to attach a garden hose to the drain and drain some of the soilds out. If not they build up and short out the bottom elemant.
Testing the water coming out of that drain to see if it's 120 is not the right way. One element can heat the water to 120 deg. it just can not keep up fast enough to keep the water hot with incoming cold water with one element.
Yes, I always do the draining maintenance but this tank is not even a year old, barely even a half of a year old.
Thank you very much for the extra instructions on 2 other element tests. I just did the basic one and through that one they both passed with flying colors. I will try to test again this weekend.