Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this normal for shower?

Hi all

I am new here, not sure i am posted in the right place...if not please move to the appropriate section of the forum.

I try to find out what causing leaking from upstairs. Last years i thought it the shower and i hired someone to re-done the title and now still leaking different spot. I opened the the drain this morning and i still see the water from the pipe..is this normal? i was about to called a plumber to put the snake down but i am not sure.

sorry for newbie question..i am not a handy man..i am a computer guy

Thanks,

bartsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes water in the pipe is normal, it is a "Trap", if it was dry you would be smelling sewer gas.

As for the leaking, have you identified the location or are you looking at the wet spot on the ceiling.

Mark

Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for fast replied Mark;

Look like the leaking from the shower and i just put caulk around the corner this morning. The tile is from last year so i think that not a problem.. The only problem i can think of is leaking pipe around the shower.

I was thinking to hired a drywall guy to cut the ceiling to see what is the problem..is this a good ideal?

Thanks,

Tom
bartsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson View Post
Thanks for fast replied Mark;

Look like the leaking from the shower and i just put caulk around the corner this morning. The tile is from last year so i think that not a problem.. The only problem i can think of is leaking pipe around the shower.

I was thinking to hired a drywall guy to cut the ceiling to see what is the problem..is this a good ideal?

Thanks,

Tom
Absolutely a good idea, if fact cutting drywall is easily done, you need to determine where the leak is before (if not too late already) there is structure damage from rot.

Not all tile installers are created equally and if not done correctly tiled shower enclosures are a big problem, they need a liner under the tile as tile and grout is not water proof.

Mark