Is It Normal To Change The Upper Line At The Meter When Running New Supply Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Is it normal to change the upper line at the meter when running new supply line?

I had a new supply line run from the meter to the house. The guy I had do it removed the meter and on the house side of the meter cut the copper and replaced the fitting with a brass 90 down to a sharkbite and then into pex. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were supposed to dig down and replace the line at the bottom after it leaves the meter. Is what he did ok? Thanks.

Advertisement

twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Is it normal to change the upper line at the meter when running new supply line?

There are several different configurations of water meters out there, so a picture would help. Bottom line, as long as the piping that did not get replaced is copper you are probably OK. It may have been necessary to keep the copper in place to allow the new line to turn down sharply enough to get below the frost line quickly. PEX generally has a fairly large minimum bend radius, especially 1". This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get a PEX line deep enough at the meter itself.

Advertisement

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Good luck with this. I would not trust a Sharkbite fitting underground (if this is the case). Probably not code either. If the fitting fails, you will not know until you get the water bill. In Ohio, you were required to run copper (type K) from the meter to the house with no joints. If a joint was required (due to length or run), it had to be a Mechanical fitting (flare). This was the only type fitting allowed underground. Codes vary but quality work doesn't. Although Sharkbites website claims they are 'code approved", it depends on the code. they are still considered a compression type fitting. Perhaps I missed something, but was the meter reinstalled?

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-07-2008 at 02:55 PM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Definitely check your local code, but Sharkbites are accepted underground in many jurisdictions. I'm pretty "old school" about plumbing in general, but I don't think using a Sharkbite fitting is a compromise in quality.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote