Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

Noritz 751 Tankless water heater questions

Hello and thanks.
Just curious, I purchased a Noritz N-0751M TWHeater this weekend.

The plan is to hang it on the garage wall and vent it up 1 foot then horizontal 4 feet out the side of the house.

I have 2 quick questions as I am going to do this myself .. I appreciate any input.

1. Do I need to puchase the condensate adaptor for the vent pipe or will it run out the vent? If it does run out is there any danger for pets who could, though highly unlikely drink it?
This is going in Newport Beach, California if thee are any codes that differ from city to city

2. Do I need to purchase the "noritz" vent kit or does HDepot sell somethign that will do the job?

I know our local Fergusons carries all the parts, I am under the impression for the venting all I need is a elbow, a straight 48, a firewall, and an endcap....

Again, thanks!

beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Home Depot (at least around here) doesn't stock the vent piping and such because it's pretty expensive. I'd buy the heater manufacturer's vent kit. I'd hate to bet a lot of money that vent piping is standardized.

Out of curiosity, why don't you hang the heater on the wall you plan to vent through? That would save you a lot of money on vent pipe. That's what I did when I installed my unit. Just make sure there's a slight downward slope to the piping and you won't need to worry about condensate.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

THanks. I cant hang it on the wall of choice due to a central vac taking up all the room...but its only 4 feet away.

I was hoping .. due to the pricing that home depot would have a standard 4 inch vent pipe I could use as oppossed to buying the Noritz brand which is freaking pricey to say the least ...

On a side note.. when you came out the outside wall of your house ... how did you end the vent?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #4

Are we talking about concentric vent pipe, that is, the exhaust pipe is inside the intake pipe? That's what I have, and I think it's 3-inch, not 4-inch (though I haven't seen it in a while since my heater's in the attic). It is all expensive because it's stainless steel (think $15 or $20 per foot). As for ending the pipe, there's a special piece for that. The exhaust pipe sticks out farther than the intake, and both have screens to keep critters out.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

no .. mine is not concentric .. just the exhaust only .. 4 inches..

intake is from the front of the system ..
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
I was hoping .. due to the pricing that home depot would have a standard 4 inch vent pipe I could use as oppossed to buying the Noritz brand which is freaking pricey to say the least ...
So you're going to spend a couple of thousand on a tankless and try to save on the pipe? You'll end up replacing that cheap stuff often enough due to corrosion/erosion. Do yourself a favour and use the right product. Go to a local plumbing supply house and they'll give you the right items you need to do the job properly.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
So you're going to spend a couple of thousand on a tankless and try to save on the pipe? You'll end up replacing that cheap stuff often enough due to corrosion/erosion. Do yourself a favour and use the right product. Go to a local plumbing supply house and they'll give you the right items you need to do the job properly.
Good point. The right stuff is stainless for a reason.