Non-frost Free Outdoor Leaking Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Non-frost free outdoor leaking faucet

I have an outdoor faucet that is leaking. It is one of the old fashioned non-frost free types. I took off the handle and screwed out a threaded 5/8" (I think) brass plug but I could not find any washers or packing anywhere. In other words, there are no wearable parts that I could find. Am I missing something? How do you stop a leak in one of these faucets? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. DM

Advertisement

dm1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

After removing the handle, there should be a nut under it. Unscrew the nut until it is free of the threads and then use the handle to remove the whole stem (by turning it). On the end of the stem there should be a washer held on by a screw. Remove the screw and replace the washer. The screw may have broken off and the washer flushed out of the faucet. You would then need to replace the screw and washer. Good luck with your project.

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks much for the reply. When I took off the handle, there was no nut but I can see the square tip of the stem sticking out the middle of the threaded piece I took out of the faucet. But when I turn the square tip to remove the stem, it simply backs out towards me about a half-inch but does not release. In other words, I could not get the stem out by turning it.

I thought I did need to remove the stem and replace the washer on the end of it but my problem is I can't seem to remove the stem. Any thoughts?
dm1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yours may be a different type than I am used to. The top section of the valve (under the handle) has to be removable. If it has flat spots for a cresent wrench or may need a pipe wrench or large channel-locks. You should be able to see a separation between this part and the main body.