Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Non-crimping PEX connectors

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use the Watts quick connect couplings for PEX plumbing inside of a wall? I am concerned that it might not hold tight permanently without leaking. Have any of you used these connectors behind sheetrock?

my5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

I have not myself so I really not have info for you, I do all crimps, maybe others will chime in soon.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #3

You ask a great question...and I'm anxious to hear what you find out. Go here and find your WATTS rep, and ask them the question. I like you would be a bit nervous.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #4

Okay, thanks for the telephone number. I did call the distributor and he assured me that these connectors are made for anyplace where there can be regular pipes. He said they are made to withstand all the water pressure that regular pipes withstand. Hope this help... I believe we'll be putting up the wall soon.
my5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #5

I don't know what your code specifies, but I was told that you can't use quick connectors behind walls, you must use barbed fittings to pass code. Just something to think about.
Babybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #6

I just replaced all the pipe in my house with pex and used the quick conectors throughout .They are easy to use and so far no leeks just make sure you get it all the way in
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
I just replaced all the pipe in my house with pex and used the quick conectors throughout .They are easy to use and so far no leeks just make sure you get it all the way in
Not to hijack thread(I dont have 20 posts so I cant PM yet). I am getting ready to finish my basement and Im looking into replacing all copper with PEX. Can you comment on your install? How much do all the tools cost that I would need to do the same? Did you run one line of PEX from a manifold to each individual fixture?

Thanks!
tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

I have used the plastic connectors on my trailer as well as my rentals. broken copper pipe fixes alot easier with the quick connector than having to re do copper. I have been in maintenance for over 12 years and I think these are a great idea for DIY guys. I dont know what "codes" are on these and I would imagine residential is different than commercial application but I read about "code specification" and inspectors ideal applications, but my philosophy is.."if its not leaking after pressure testing and its behind a wall, who will ever know?" Maybe thats the wrong philosophy to have, idk< but I would be willing to imagine most want the job done easy rather than cheap if they are doing it themselves.
schmukdup69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post
Not to hijack thread(I dont have 20 posts so I cant PM yet). I am getting ready to finish my basement and Im looking into replacing all copper with PEX. Can you comment on your install? How much do all the tools cost that I would need to do the same? Did you run one line of PEX from a manifold to each individual fixture?
Thanks!
Just wondering, why are you going to replace the copper pipe with PEX? Copper has long been the standard for piping and has an extensive record. PEX on the other hand has a relatively short history, granted it appears to be a very good product but I certainly wouldn't replace copper with it unless I was having problems!

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote