Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

noisy water lines

hi i am having noises in my water lines, i have no water running when i hear these noises, and sound does not stop when i do turn on water, the sound is like there is water going through pipes and little knocking noises not water hammer! its like little thumps and also sounds like water boiling like when you first plug in water kettle for tea, i put ear to wall and its louder, i checked for leaks and none found ,i went in crawl space put my ear against water main and i could hear this noise, is it possible there is broken water line outside of house, or mabe something wrong with pressure valve on water main? help!!! this is driving me crazy, thanks,, lorin

lorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Experienced

noisy water lines

Hello Lorin and welcome the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Does this sound come and go?

The reason I ask, it sounds like it could be your water heater when on the heat cycle.

Mark

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

Smile

noisy water lines

addition to my previous post i forgot to mention ! late at nite the noise i described is much noisier, i am thinking possibly less people using water and possibly more pressure coming into my lines, thanks again
Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

noisy water lines

thanks mark! actually this noise stopped for a week, then restarted, also i was walking down my driveway and there is a sinkhole in my asphalt so was thinking nabe water line?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

noisy water lines

mark also about water boiler i turned off the breaker and noise was still there!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Experienced

noisy water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin View Post
thanks mark! actually this noise stopped for a week, then restarted, also i was walking down my driveway and there is a sinkhole in my asphalt so was thinking nabe water line?
If that is the case time will definately tell, call the city or county to have them look at the sink hole, you could be onto something there.

Mark
lorin (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

noisy water lines

the city or water supplier may be working on their pumps/lines etc. we get issues in the summer with them flushing fire hydrants and jacking the pressure up and down. they may get air in the line if there is major water line breaks and repairs etc and that can take some time to go away. wait another week or so and see. if you want to get the supply line from the meter changed to a softer pipe like plastic PEX that may break the solid connection and help with vibration transmission a bit but that is going to cost some $$.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

noisy water lines

thanks yes come to think of it i did have black water coming through my pipes a few weeks ago, think city was working on lines, im hopeful , mabe it will go away, i am going to get a water pressure gauge, mabe this will help
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

noisy water lines

some cities ( not mine ) have water pressure reducing valves where it enters the house at the meter and is your responsibility. that sometimes keeps the spikes/high pressure down but if you have lived with it this long with no problems then it should go away unless they have permanently jacked the pressure up or altered their system. the valve can be added downstream by the meter by a Pro plumber if necessary for several hundred $$.

lorin (01-22-2012)