Noisy Water Level Controller - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noisy Water Level Controller

I have a low output drilled well which supplies a cistern tank. The level in that tank is controlled by two probes and a B/W (Magnetek) liquid level controller. Although it works it has always buzzed to some degree. Of late it was getting particularly loud, like obvious from 30' feet away in my basement. I removed the contacts and cleaned them, also tried a spare controller. No improvement. I also cleaned the probes today as well as the ground rod in the cistern. No change.

Since this water control system is about 30 years old is there a more modern, electronic version of this relay set up that would be quiet and not be insanely expensive? Or other advice? thanks..

Advertisement

butternutaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Noisy Water Level Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternutaud View Post
I have a low output drilled well which supplies a cistern tank. The level in that tank is controlled by two probes and a B/W (Magnetek) liquid level controller. Although it works it has always buzzed to some degree. Of late it was getting particularly loud, like obvious from 30' feet away in my basement. I removed the contacts and cleaned them, also tried a spare controller. No improvement. I also cleaned the probes today as well as the ground rod in the cistern. No change.

Since this water control system is about 30 years old is there a more modern, electronic version of this relay set up that would be quiet and not be insanely expensive? Or other advice? thanks..
There is another type of float set up, much like that which is used for the back of the toilet.
There is a rod that has a float on it that is vertical and uses a modified pressure switch to control the pump that feeds the tank.
Look up Square D Float Switches.
Then there is the Mechanical level switch that has a bulb hanging off a rod that is either normally open or normally closed. Bulb up and pump is off and bulb down pump is on.

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote