Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Noisy Drain, how do I fix it??

I just moved into a brand new house about a month ago. I've discovered I have a drain that gurgles when the Washer is draining. It gurgles in the Kitchen sink.

It's pretty loud but I don't actually get any water backup just a bunch of noise.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

webweever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

It sounds like a bad vent on the washing machine drain. If this is a new build, do you have a warrantee?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #3

The dishwasher? Or the clothes washer?

Either way, I'm betting that you need a vent for that kitchen sink. You can add what's called a Studor vent (air admittance vent), and never have to break out sheetrock or cabinets in most cases. It is a mechanical device that you put on the end of a piece of 2" PVC pipe, usually in the cabinet in behind the sink. You may need a plumber to do this for you. The Studor vent lets the drain vent without letting sewer gas get out. They're commonly used for places that are hard to actually run piped vents up to the roof, such as island sinks.

The gurgling you're hearing is air sucking down through the trap under your sink. That can actually suck enough water out of the trap to compromise the water seal that keeps the sewer gas where it belongs. Proper venting will eliminate this problem.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #4

It's the clothes washer. We don't hear anything when the dishwasher drains.

Which Studor vent would I need, Maxi-vent, Mini-vent or another?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by webweever View Post
It's the clothes washer. We don't hear anything when the dishwasher drains.

Which Studor vent would I need, Maxi-vent, Mini-vent or another?
Ideally you'd be able to get that washer machine to vent correctly. I'm assuming the plumbing for it is concealed in the wall though.

So, the kitchen sink is gurgling, acting as a vent when the washer machine runs. It isn't doing it when the dishwasher runs because the volume of water is less and doesn't blow through as hard.

Any Studor vent you can get by your sink will be a good addition. The question is can it be put on given the current plumbing setup?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #6

Is your laundry area below your kitchen? When I moved into our new to us house, we had the same problem. Our washer (basement) and kitchen (1st floor) shared the same vent. There was a blockage (birds nest) so I snaked the vent pipe from the roof.
Two things to check.
Do you have any vent pipes sticking out through the roof?
Either try to clear the vent or if you are uncomfortable with going on the roof, I would call in a plumber.
Do you have a Studor vent installed near the washer under the sink or in the attic? You may have a bad one.
What you have going on is a liquid stuck in a soda straw. As thekctermite stated the gurgling is air forcing its way through the kitchen sink trap. If enough water is pulled from the trap, it will allow sewer gas to enter your home.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #7

Good to rule out the easy stuff first. But my assumption is that the house was improperly vented.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #8

The washer and the kitchen are on the same floor. I'm guessing it's improperly vented. The house was built by and individual, not a contractor.

I have no Studor vents in the house at all right now. Where can I buy one of the vents? Lowes or Home Depot?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #9

The studor vent itself might be available there, but for sure at a plumbing supply company. The studor is just part of it though...You'll have to cut a vent riser into the existing plumbing using PVC pipe and fittings, and the studor will attach to it. Put the vent under the cabinet above the wier of the trap (I'd go as close to the underside of the countertop as reasonably possible).
Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

Post a picture of what's under the kitchen sink if you can.