Noise When Turning On Water Anywhere In The House - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Noise when turning on water anywhere in the house

Hi
We recently bought a house and I am not as experienced with making major improvements. Just getting a hang of things reading on this forum. I have noticed the following problem(?).

Starting December, when it got colder, whenever we turn on any water discharge in the house, there is a loud rumbling noise in the attic or between floors. This happens if we turn the tap on, or flush a toilet or the sprinkler system turns on or off, the washer or dish washer turns on or the showers are turned on. Basically, any kind of water discharge. The noises were initially not as loud, so we ignored them, thinking this is just some change of weather kind of thing. But they have not gone away and are progressively louder to the extent that now, sometimes my wife gets scared that someone is in the house because of the noise.

The house has copper plumbing. Please let me know what info will help and I will supply it. Appreciate any help that folks here can provide.
Thanks

Advertisement

pkulkarni001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do you have access to the attic?

Have someone go into the attic and then have someone else turn on a faucet. Look around in the attic to see if the pipes are rubbing against something. The pipe may just need to be secured to a framing member.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sounds like a typical problem related to shockwaves of water in the pipes. a large culprit of the noise of the pipes when points of use are turned on and off are lose pipes. try getting some pipe straps. if that doesnt do the trick try a water hammer arrestor. http://www.plumbersurplus.com/ProductList.aspx?Cat=240
biking4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote