DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Noise expert needed

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Ron The Plumber 
#1 ·
Background:
Ranch house, full basement. This only starts when it's cold out. Turn on the water in the bedroom, mostly warm to hot water, and the drain vent starts banging, knocking. I guess it's expansion, but not sure how to stop it. I have access in the attic to it but not sure what to do.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm no "expert" on anything, just a long-time DIYer.
If the vent pipe is loose, maybe you can clamp it down better where you can reach it, or tap wedges in around the pipe in the holes where it passes through wood framing to help alleviate the noise.
Plastic drain/waste/vent pipes are just naturally noisier than metal pipe. Sometimes you can wrap insulation around them or spray foam around them to help quieten them down.
Good Luck!
Mike

#5 ·
Thanks for responding.
Well, I'll try to detail a little more. When warm or hot water is turned on in the master bath, a banging occurs behind the wall and up through the ceiling into the attic. This continues for a couple minutes after the water is turned off and done draining. No other water is being drained at this time, the water drain drops about 10 feet from there, along the basement wall and into the basement concrete and off to drain. The basement is well insulated, including that wall. This occured before I finished the basement anyway. This starts happening this time of year, when it gets cold out.
Thanks

#8 ·
No pumps.

Can it just be the cold air coming down the vent from the roof and the warm water hits it as it's draining? I guess if water is flowing down the drain, wouldn't that create a small vacume pulling air down the vent?
Just thinking out loud here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.