DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

No water upstairs sink only?

11K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ponch37300 
#1 ·
I have a 55 year old Cape Cod house, upstairs bathroom was added on within last 15 years? I turned on the water and nothing came out (hot or cold) tolite still works? I've tried to trace the pipes from down stairs, but not having much luck with it. I checked all the other faucets, they run both hot and cold just fine????
I don't know what to do, don't want to leave and come home to a mess? what could be the reason upstairs faucet isn't working? Thanks for any and all help/advice
should I call a plumber or wait?:huh:

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like frozen to me, assuming it just happened? I have no water at the moment....
Why - could have to do with where the pipes are physically ran. their proximity to outside walls, etc.

is your basement heated? Is your furnace down there? If so, you might crank up the heat.

If you are going to work (leaving the house alone), i would open the faucets (all of them.. shower, sink) in that bathroom, just a touch. NOT enough to overflow anything if they start running. more like a drip. another alternative would be to shut off the MAIN , and open up ALL of the faucets - just in case.

what is "tolite still works" ?

#5 ·
oops! TOILET still works upstairs? Different pipes I guess?

I put a space heater down stairs in the utility room where all the pipes branch out, trying to heat up the area to heat up the pipes. Furnace is downstairs, basement is drafty, but not cold. I just got hot water upstairs!!!!!!!!! hope the cold comes thru soon without bursting through that is...........:thumbsup:

#9 ·
If you manage to get the water flowing, without having the pipes burst, you are very fortunate! On occasions when very cold temperatures are forecast, allow your taps to run a slight stream, almost a dribble, this will prevent the pipes from freezing solid! If you are going away, turn off the water at the main, then turn on all your taps and allow the water to run back, and out of the pipes! Once, I seen a house where the pipes froze on the 2nd floor, split and then thawed out! Water ran out, brought the 1st floor ceilings down and ruined all the hardwood flooring!

#10 ·
Well the hot water started flowing around 12:30, and the cold water came out about 3:15pm. I went to home Depot to buy some insulation for the pipes, and also bought some extra insulation options stuff. I put on my little suit, mask, and crawled into the attic craw space that runs along the back side of the house/roof. There was plenty of the pink stuff, and the loose gray stuff on the floor and up against the interior wall. I noticed that the wood sheeting that the roof shingles are attached to had frost covering every inch of it. I notice some holes in the wood, and gaps between the sheets of board. You could see the black sheet stuff under the shingles!
So I guess I need a new complete roof, not just new shingles! right? I will keep the small trickle of water flowing until we get past these ZERO temps, then call a roofer. Thanks again for all the help, if you have any more ideas or thoughts, please let me know.
Lisa

#11 ·
the trickle idea will help but you'll need a long term fix and the only thing I can think of is new insulation. Call a local insulation company for either blown in insulation or whatever they might suggest. Most estimates are free including the advice.

once upon a time before the price of fuel was too crazy, I remember running from the boiler to the furthest hot water faucet a 1/4" line to a small pump called a murphy (?) pump which constantly ran water between the two points. Its main purpose was for instant hot water at that far away location and to prevent freezing. Some were on timers, right before you woke up and some on outside air tempatures but this could get expensive.

#12 ·
Well when they pull off the roof, maybe I can have some new insulation stuff put in the attic crawl space done the right way with better stuff. The major coldness was coming from the roof. I was in there, other then filling the whole space with insulation, I don't think anything more could have been done. It had both the thick pink insulation, and at least 6 inches of the loose gray insulation across the whole floor. Extra pink stuff was layed up against the area where my bathoom wall is.
Pipes have the black wrap foam insulation tubing all around it. Just crawling on the boards up there, my hands were freezing. Between the frost, and the draft I'm sure that was how the pipes froze up there and no where else in the house. Thank God, the didn't burst!
I will get a roofer out here next week to take a look at it.

#13 ·
I doubt that you have a problem with the roof! The frost up there, most likely comes from humidity in the house leaking into the attic. Then, when it contacts cold surfaces, moisture condenses on the surface and freezes! Attic spaces must be completely sealed against air-flow from the house! This means plugging any cracks, electrical cable holes, water pipe holes, and if possible a plastic vapor barrier be placed on the warm side of any insulation. I think that you would be better served by a insulation contractor, rather than a roofer!

#14 ·
she- You MAY have old wood shingles under neath as first layer,,,thats why boards are spaced,,,that in itself isnt a problem,,,dont rip it off just cause. Maybe asphalt over that,or just asphalt nailed to avoid the cracks. ALL old roofs started out with the wide 1-2 inch cracks with wood shingles. Your options are,,,when you do tear off to bare roof is to fill cracks(the ard way to fix) or the easy way of nailing plywood over(most used remedy)

Attic ventilation should be viewed also,,and most likely updated.

we had 15-20 below temps here also but the clippr went thru quickly and we are back to balmy 20 already. Strofoam insulation gives biggeest insulation boost for space taken. foam is good,expensive but good.. Usually bad freeze spots are due to a 'breeze' from outside hitting a particular spot,,,find the spot and you solved half of the problem. BUT as a general rule,,,pipes in an unheated attic space is a not good situation,,,any other alternate routes?? Pipes here in the frozen north NEVER go thru attics,,,always in basements,crawl spaces and interior walls.

#15 ·
I will look into all of those things this weekend. I noticed this morning when I was making my bed that the trap/access door to the crawl space had frost/ice on my side of it? I guess that's because my room is warm, and the other side in the crawl space is freezing cold?
Not to sound like a dumb blonde, but how do I get a handy man to be honest and not try to just sell me a roof, or insulation to replace that I already have?

The knot holes in the wood in the roof makes since now that you mentioned the old roof materials of years past.
this a 1955 Cape Cod. Very high pitch! Bed room was added on maybe 10 years ago???

The pipes leave the basement funrance room, then head up the wall then have to run across a few feet through the attic/crawl space to get to the bathroom. I have sloped cellings upstairs due to the high pitch of the house I guess? I will keep you all informed on my journey to solve this problem. by the way the house is a block foundation, and not sure whats under the siding, but know it was replaced 15 years ago!
Thanks guys! I have to go deliver mail now! burrr.....
Lisa

#16 ·
The best way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to hire a licensed contractor and not a handy man. Most will give free estimates so feel free to get 3-4 of them and compare what each has to say. With the economy like it is there are alot of workers laid off and alot of new "handy man" companies out there. Some are good companies, some are good workers that just don't have the experience/skill to come in and tell you what's wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.