Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

No water in the laundry room lines

LAUNDRY! There is (hot-cold) water everywhere in the two story (3/3) five years old duplex in Florida (with no freezing pipes or temperatures) but in the laundry room. Everything looks new and was properly checked including valves at the water heater. Outside meter replaced and pressure reducer valve checked and readjusted. Faucets OK. When the cold line is back flushed with neighbor's water supply (after cutting off my main line), water is not coming from the outside spigots but from the hot line in the same laundry room, and vice-versa. Plumber was unable to solve the problem after cutting the walls, leaving a major mess, and charge 350 dollars for it. He wanted to do a major surgical “bypass” by bringing water from another unknown point in the house and charge an extra 500 bucks . PLEASE HELP! It must be a logical reason for this puzzling problem and somebody must have an intelligent solution for it. Or it is a dead end?

Last edited by nicetune; 05-15-2011 at 07:47 PM.
nicetune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

If you already checked all the things you mentioned-----and invited a pro to investigate the situation--

I think running new pipes is your best option.---You would need to tear apart the house to find the cause,which will certainly cost more than running new lines.

nicetune (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #3

Can a slab crack cut the lines? How? There is no spills according to the red star in the meter.

Last edited by nicetune; 05-15-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
DIY staff

A cracked slab is not likely to be the cause of loosing the hot and cold.

Can you post a few pictures?

I'd guess that there is a set of shut off valves somewhere that are turned off.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

I'll take pictures today. The theory of the hidden valves somewhere in the house has been already mentioned by few pros. However, I did look for it (or them) everywhere, cabinets, closets, under-sinks, even in the attic. NOTHING! I heard form the previous tenants that the lines were working well until one day (I try to find the exact date) kaput, no more water there. Even if I may bring water from the water heater lines upstairs (after ripping off walls) I will keep wandering for the rest of my life WHY? Somebody else had the same problem in 2007 (I emailed him) but nobody came up with a good answer. Thanks for thinking with me. Perhaps we will find the root of the problem pioneering in this issue. You will be my honor guess in the celebration party... at the laundry room.

Last edited by nicetune; 05-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #6

are there "balancing valves in any of the laundry fixtures, if so try replacing them. Not an expensive or hard job to do.
Otherbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

Thanks Otherbill. I like your suggestion because it is likely that there is one somewhere since I suspect that the new property (2005) has to follow new plumbing codes. I just try to contact the builders and plumbers who worked in the new subdivision and guess what, both companies were out of business. Any idea where the valves may be hidden behind the gypsum boards? I will follow that path !!! Where usually the balanced valves are installed? Around the water heater?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

usually under the cover plate, if they're single lever. may even be they flow valves aren't opened completely. what make are they?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #9

where are you in FL? lived in the tampa area for the last 10 years.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
DIY staff

Is there a possibility that your missing water actually is coming from a neighboring unit?

Why would it work one day and not the next,if you made no changes to your own plumbing?

Are you friendly with the other duplex owner?

This wouldn't be the first time a plumber or electrician got the units intermingled.--Mike---
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #11

Thanks Otherbill. I'm in the small capital Tallahassee. I read the plumbing codes and it seems that yes they require the installation of balancing valves at least for showers. But where? What cover plate? Where is the cover plate? Water heater?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

Oh'mike, I already called the bank that repossessed the next door unit. It is vacant but a professional was sent tho check their system for possible vandalism. Everything is all right there.
There is not intermittence. Water was flowing normally all over the apartment for five years until few months ago when both of the laundry lines just stop working. Since that time there is low pressure all over. I got the forecosure apt and I stupidly forgot to hire a home inspector since everything looked great, like never used. I assumed that everything was working until the tenants called me: no water in the laundry!!!! I felt so bad for them that I have to reduce the rent until...
Thanks for your idea.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What kind of water lines?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #14

I know in some parts of FL the shut off and meter is in a box near the curb. Pull the lid and check if your shut off my have been partially closed by mistake. The balancing valves are in the shower fixtures.

Last edited by Otherbill; 05-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #15

The lines are 1/2 CPVC, two (hot and cold) go up to the second story and two go down to the slab. I'll upload a photo soon.

The shut off valve has been checked many times and even today I replaced the PRV (pressure reducer valve) by a new one (Watts). I back flush the system with 80 psi bypassing the PRV and NOTHING: no water circulation through the laundry lines. There is water on the three bathrooms, the ice maker and the kitchen sink but not in the laundry.