Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
GB

Share |

No water flow from house supply to fridge

No Water Flowing To Fridge
I can usually figure stuff out, but this is really starting to bug me!

PROBLEM: water stopped flowing from the valve in the wall, which connects to the 1/4 inch fridge supply line. Water was flowing normally and then stopped.
I didn't do any work which would have stopped flow.

What I have done so far:
1) After turning off main (duh), I removed valve from house supply line, to check for blockage in valve. Valve is clean. Supply line (behind wall) is polyethylene, probably connected to a supply manifold.
2) Reinstalled valve.
3) Hoping it's a clogged line, I hooked up (with adapters & reducers) garden hose, to 1/4" tubing, to valve & backflushed water supply line several times. No help. Maybe not enough water pressure, with 1/4" tube.
4) My last idea is to remove valve & connect garden hose directly to
house supply line(in wall) & back flush again. Will do this tommorrow. Assuming this doesn't work, does anyone have any ideas? I wonder though, if it is a clog, how would a 1/2" supply line become totally blocked? House is 4 years old, with municipal water supply (Las Vegas area). No other areas in house are affected.

Last edited by garyb123; 12-23-2007 at 05:15 PM.
garyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Master Plumber

I really can't figure out how to back flush a line with the water turned off unless you use an air compressor if that is what you want to try. Did you try to just disconnect the poly line from the back of the fridge to see if there is water pressure before you shut down the main? You could have a bad control valve or a clogged filter or something else wrong with the fridge itself.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
GB

Thanks for your suggestions, but let me clarify. I am backflushing with the water on. Water source is garden hose. Line being flushed is in wall, not fridge. The valve I was referring to is connected to the house supply line (in the wall). I'm not talking about the fridge valve. Sorry if I was unclear.
My flow problem is on the house side, not fridge.
Actually, we previously did what you suggested (remove polyline from back of fridge). We found no water pressure and proceeded to steps in my original post.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Master Plumber

I did understand and was just trying to make sure you checked the fridge first. I don't have any idea of why there would be no pressure to the line itself coming from the wall if you have removed the valve also and checked the pressure there. I was confused as to how you are going to shut the main off and then still maintain pressure at the garden hose. Is the line to the garden hose prior to the main shut off?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I am backflushing with the water on. Water source is garden hose. Line being flushed is in wall, not fridge. The valve I was referring to is connected to the house supply line (in the wall).
Ayuh,........

If you are trying to backflush the line,+ that line is Still attached to the Supply,......
Your Garden Hose,+ The Supply Line are going to be at the Same Pressure......
So,.......... Nothing is going to go Anywhere.........

You have to Find where the poly tubing is Coming From,+ Disconnect it,.....
Then it can be Backflushed.......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,........

If you are trying to backflush the line,+ that line is Still attached to the Supply,......
Your Garden Hose,+ The Supply Line are going to be at the Same Pressure......
So,.......... Nothing is going to go Anywhere.........

You have to Find where the poly tubing is Coming From,+ Disconnect it,.....
Then it can be Backflushed.......

The no change in water pressure equals no back flow and no back flush. I agree - however, I opened kitchen faucet so the water I'm adding to system could back flush & drain out. Does this make sense? Since the loss of water is to fridge only, if flushing doesn't work, I'll live with it - no opening walls. I'll report back with results.

Last edited by garyb123; 12-23-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Does this make sense?
Nope,......

You've Still got the Same pressure on Both sides of what you're trying to Backflush.........

You've Got to go Upstream from the supposed Issue,+ Disconnect it to create a 0 pressure for a backflush to work......

It would be a 'ell of alot Easier to just work your way Upstream, til you find the Supply,.....
Then you'll Know Exactly where it's Plugged or turned Off........
Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpplumber View Post
I did understand and was just trying to make sure you checked the fridge first. I don't have any idea of why there would be no pressure to the line itself coming from the wall if you have removed the valve also and checked the pressure there. I was confused as to how you are going to shut the main off and then still maintain pressure at the garden hose. Is the line to the garden hose prior to the main shut off?
No, all lines are open.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
GB

Quote:
Nope,......

You've Still got the Same pressure on Both sides of what you're trying to Backflush.........

You've Got to go Upstream from the supposed Issue,+ Disconnect it to create a 0 pressure for a backflush to work......

It would be a 'ell of alot Easier to just work your way Upstream, til you find the Supply,.....
Then you'll Know Exactly where it's Plugged or turned Off........

I see what you mean - even though I would have water flowing out of the system, the pressure on both sides of the blockage would be equal. I assume working my way upstream, would mean opening walls. If so, I'll just let things be. Could I possibly fish a line (like an electrical fish tape) up the line?

Last edited by garyb123; 12-23-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
I assume working my way upstream, would mean opening walls. If so, I'll just let things be.
Ayuh,........

If there's a Waterline coming Out of a wall,.......
It's gotta be going Into the Wall Somewhere,......Probably, but not necessarily from Below..........
I'm sure it might take alittle Looking,.....
But it's got to be Coming from Somewhere.......
I mean,..... Is there a tap-in on the Kitchen Sink,..?? From somewhere in the Cellar,..?? From a Bathroom near by,..??
Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
GB

Quote:
Ayuh,........

If there's a Waterline coming Out of a wall,.......
It's gotta be going Into the Wall Somewhere,......Probably, but not necessarily from Below..........
I'm sure it might take alittle Looking,.....
But it's got to be Coming from Somewhere.......
I mean,..... Is there a tap-in on the Kitchen Sink,..?? From somewhere in the Cellar,..?? From a Bathroom near by,..??
Actually, I took pictures as the house was being built. I sent picture in this post. Valve box, attached to supply line is at lower right, of picture. Obviously, the line's coming from somewhere. Picture shows it running up into ceiling. I don't have more pictures, of this line. Question is, can I get to it's source, without opening wall / ceiling? So, I thought fishing a tape up the line might work, if I could do it without causing damage. By the way, thanks for correcting my thinking on the water pressure issue, so I didn't waste my time trying to backflush! Just had an idea - what if I turn off main, opened faucets to relieve pressure and blew compressed air up problem line? Or, I could turn off main, open faucets and push water, from my pool pump (there's a hosebibb on it) through garden hose to problem line. Make sense? Sorry if I'm giving you guys a headache, but I forgot to mention water was flowing previously and stopped. I didn't do any work which would have stopped flow, so a blockage seems logical. Have you ever seen a 1/2" supply line get totally blocked, with debris?
Attached Thumbnails
No water flow from house supply to fridge-p0007506b.jpg  

Last edited by garyb123; 12-23-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
Master Plumber

I just don't know where you are trying to flush the line and have whatever it is blocking the line exit the pipe if in fact there is anything, even with air pressure you would have to have an opening in the line equal to or greater then the line you are trying to back flush. It is doubtful the line is frozen you being in Vegas area but could it somehow be kinked up above or is there a manifold that you could trace the line back to...it appears to be some sort of PEX system that everybody is so fond of these days.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #13

Gary - (I'm sure you know this) - but you have to find source - and there will likely be a valve there. Unless the builder was incredibly stupid it will be accessible. Is there a bathroom upstairs ? Look for an access cover. I really doubt if it's clogged.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
Gary - (I'm sure you know this) - but you have to find source - and there will likely be a valve there. Unless the builder was incredibly stupid it will be accessible. Is there a bathroom upstairs ? Look for an access cover. I really doubt if it's clogged.

Hi there

The only valve I know of controlling flow to this line is the main. I wish there was a cutoff valve like in the washroom, or laundryroom. Sorry if I'm giving you guys a headache, but just to remind you, in my original post I stated water flow stopped. It was flowing normally, then stopped. I didn't do any work which would have stopped flow, so a blockage, seems logical.

Last edited by garyb123; 12-23-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
Union HVAC Tech.

There is probably a tap a line valve feeding the poly pipe and it's corroded closed. You need to forget back flushing and locate the valve for the poly. This is a very common issue.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote