Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |

No Water entering toilet bowl

All of the sudden, water stopped coming into the bowl after flushing. After removing the lid and playing around a bit, I'm just not sure what's going on. All the supply lines are on, the sink works fine, and the washer is working. I checked everything and there are no leaks. It's a relatively new toilet (American Standard). I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks
mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
BIGRED

If by new do you mean in the last 6 monthes?? Several manufacturers changed their fill valves in the last year or so to get away from the older float arm and ball float and there is one that originated with the TOTO toilet that displays this exact behavior after 4 monthes to a year. If it is a black one piece plastic fill valve with a blue plastic head you are probably one of the afflicted. There are a few that can tear this apart right in the tank and remove the ball check from the enclosed float chamber along with cleaning out all the gummy buildup around the float, but if you want to do it yourself you will need to go to a plumbing supply house; not a retail store and ask them if they have an exploded diagram of the TOTO fill valve and the repair instructions for it. I can do it in 15 minutes my self, but it's difficult to describe.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Unless it is like bud describe you can try this. In the middle of the tank there should be a tube coming up about 1 inch in diameter coming out of the top of that tube there should be a small tube about a 1/4 inch in diameter going to the ball cock. first when you flush see if water comes out of that small tube dumping in to the big tube. If not then you have something in your ball cock obstucting the flow. either take the ball cock apart and flush it out or replace it with a fluid master ball cock. If you can post a pic of the inside of the tank so we can tell what we are looking at.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Is there water in the tank? Almost sounds like the chain that lifts the flapper (when you push the flush handle), is disconnected. If the flapper doesn't raise, the water cannot go from the tank to the bowl.

Last edited by majakdragon; 05-02-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: punctuation
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

I just disconnected the hose from the supply line to the toilet, cleaned it out and hooked it back up. I then turned the water back on and the tank filled up. Not sure what this was all about but it's worked. Thanks for the posts.
mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #6

Mineral deposits will sometimes block the valve. Glad you got the problem solved.