Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
walt1122

Share |

no vent stack thru roof?

never saw this before. neighbor asked me to help him try and find source of sewer gas in his house. Started by putting water down all drains to fill traps hoping it was something simple but then as we were talking he explained that he did NOT have any vents thru his roof. I didn't believe him till looked for myself and saw he was correct. Have not looked in the attic yet but aparrently the plumber used all vacuumn traps ( don't know what they are called) just believe they CAN be used but never heard of them being used exclusively without any vent stacks what-so-ever? This is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with kitchen and utility room. you know a regular ranch wth septc lines of 3 inch in diameter.

So two questions:

1. Is this code?

2. How can we figure out where the smell is coming from if vents are behind walls. Will smoke bombs work? (no smells in crawl space under house.)

thanks

Walt

walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Experienced

no vent stack thru roof?

Any chance of the home owner calling the builder/ plumber to identify and fix the problem.

Mark

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
walt1122

no vent stack thru roof?

He is trying to get the guy back but...
it has been more than two years since the house was built. Built as a spec home just as the market started to tank and left vacant since.
the contractor/plumber/electrician is the same guy we mistakenly used here at our residence who abruptly left when we confronted him about code violations we were finding in our house. We bought land and built here in Tennessee (main residence is in New Jersey 800 miles away)knowing that this county does NOT have building codes for plumbing and the inspectors look the other way with electric. We did demand that they adhere to CODE OR BETTER but I have posted some of my horror stories, electric splices burried in walls, two different wires in on box, one terminated without caps that is live! and a completely different circuit as the other wire in box. On the plumbing side I got structural damage to joists from cuts made by plumber to run pipe, pipes run uphill, no inspection ports and this crazy zig-zag thing on the way to the septic tank cause he didn't put the pipe down low enough below the garage floor so he had to kill a 4 foot drop within a distance of 15 feet before entering the tank. Had plenty of depth in garage floor from the excavation but put in the gravel and then said opps!! now I can't run the pipe as deep as I should but I'll just do another half ass job and nobody will know. But I caught him in this and the other issues and he figured it would be too costly to fix so he booked.

other problems that I'm still working on and as I find them I come here to see the best way to fix.

thanks

Walt
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Experienced

no vent stack thru roof?

They are call AAV's (Air Admittance Valve), not sure about how they are in relation to code in your area.

I would think that if these were used exclusively, then they would either under the sink for which they serve, of course not possible for a toilet, so it would have to be in the wall behind it.

Without taking down drywall, I really don't think that you can fix this issue.

Mark
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

no vent stack thru roof?

bet vents capped in attic or just stubbed up if that lazy
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
walt1122

no vent stack thru roof?

thanks guys, tpolk that is what I was thinking. He just left open vent in attic. Plan on going over there today and get into attic to see. Can't believe there is no vent at all. He put an air admittance valve in this house for the kitchen sink but did put in a vent for the bathroom. Only about 1.5 inch pipe but at least something!

thanks

Walt