No Soft Water After Regeneration - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No Soft Water After Regeneration

I found an old thread similar to my problem, but not exactly, so I'd better ask anew. I've got a kennmore-type softener, 5 years old, seal kit, rotor and venturi valve replaced 2 years ago. Unit steps through regen cycle normally. Display indicates water is flowing past the turbine sensor in normal softwater mode. After several manually regeneration and at least one auto regen (two weeks) we still have no soft water. No visable leaks. manual bypass valve hasn't been touched for two years, but unit is acting like it's stuck in permanent bypass. Display shows water is flowing when a tap is opened during normal softwater mode. What can I do at this point?
Thanks, Ed

Advertisement

Last edited by Ed Wegner; 08-24-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Ed Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 133

Could the resin be exhausted?

Advertisement

chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

In just five years? Seems more likely that 1) brine is not actually going through the resin, or 2) inlet water is not flowing through the resin tank. I don't know what to check next??
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

When you start a regen or cleaning cycle does water go into the black pipe called the brine well? then does it get removed when it is in brine draw and slow rinse?

City water or well water?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

I'm not familiar with that particular brand , but salt bridging was a problem i had. the symptoms sound the same as mine when it did that.

salt bridging is when the salt (in the salt pellet storage tank) hardens above the water level and doesn't settle down in to the water. Salt looks full, but underneath the salt on top (bridge), is water which is not even touching salt. Take a broom stick and poke down thru the salt. If you break through and there seems to be nothing underneath, you've likely found your problem.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular brand , but salt bridging was a problem i had. the symptoms sound the same as mine when it did that.

salt bridging is when the salt (in the salt pellet storage tank) hardens above the water level and doesn't settle down in to the water. Salt looks full, but underneath the salt on top (bridge), is water which is not even touching salt. Take a broom stick and poke down thru the salt. If you break through and there seems to be nothing underneath, you've likely found your problem.
i've had the same problem. now, i only put a bag or two in at a time, filling the tank up seems to be what always causes the salt bridge for me.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Yes, water fills in the brine tank and then drains normally; no problems with the regen cycle.

No salt bridge; first thing I checked for.

I can't find anything that's obvious.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

I got a clue from softenerparts.com:
In this particular type of softener, once in a while the o-ring at the top of the resin tank pipe that mates with the distributor can slip off the top of the pipe. If that has happened, they said it will cause exactly the problem I'm having: a softener that appears to be doing everything it should, except softening the water.

If that's the case, the solution is to add a PVC coupling to the resin tank pipe so it extends just a little bit further up into the distributor.

I will disassemble tomorrow morning and check for this condition and report back on this thread.

Regards, Ed Wegner
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

Success! It was the O-ring at the top of the resin tank pipe that had slipped off the end. I extended the pipe 3/8 inch further up into the bottom of the "top" distributor, reinstalled the O-ring, ran another regen cycle, drained the hot water heater and refilled after the regen cycle completed, and we have soft water again! Thank you, softenerparts.com
-Ed Wegner

Advertisement