DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

No pressure in my shower

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  loki993 
#1 ·
I've been fighting with this for over a month now and I'm out of ideas. I figured I would try one last thing before calling in someone that will almost surely result in a hefty bill to fix.

First off when I moved in the house had been gutted and completely remolded so everything in it is new.

Basically over the past few months my shower has gradually lost water pressure. For a while it was annoying but tolerable, then it lost so much that i was actually pretty hard to even take a shower. To now where I have no pressure at all. I get a trickle at the faucet and when trying to turn the shower on I get nothing not even enough pressure to fill the tube and come out the shower head.

The shower is a Delta Monitor 13. First thing I did was change the cartridge. I've checked under the house to see if there are shut off valves, there are none. I can run the water without the cartridge in and it flows and I did that for some time to see if any blockage or gunk would be cleared but I didnt get anything. We also ran the old cartridge without the balancer in it at all and still got no pressure. I would have assumed I would have at least gotten something doing that.

The house uses an on demand water heater, I've ran water out of that and checked that for blockages and I cant find anything. I cant really check after the heater though as it goes right in the wall and to PEX I'm assuming.

Everywhere else in the house seems to be working ok, its just the shower thats had the huge falloff.

I don't think its the valve, the original I pulled out didn't even have much gunk or dirt on it. I ran the shower with no faucet or valve on it for about 10 minutes before installing the new cartridge to make sure anything was cleared out as well.

Also like I said everything in the house is new. The Shower, Faucet, plumbing is brand new PEX throughout, and the water heater.

Im at a total loss here.

Any ideas before I either have to start punching holes in the shower or call someone in?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm no plumber but I had similar problem and the issue was the pressure reducing valve (PRV) going into the house. If you have one it will be located in the yard under a valve cover. I know you said you didn't have issues in other parts of house but I thought it may be a possibility.

#6 ·
Don't think so. The valve is usually right after the meter. Has a cone shape to it with a screw on top. Turn screw one way and you reduce pressure. Other way to increase. The guts of these can fail causing pressure problems. I was told they only last about 10-12 years or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.