Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

no permit replumb?


i'm planning to do a replumb and was wondering what issues i may run into down the road.

in particular, if i pull a permit later for some other work, call an inspector in, and they happen to figure out that i didn't pull a permit when i did the replumb, are they going to make me rip it out?

also what implications does it have when i sell the house?

i live in florida.

thanks in advance.

hal74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,154
Rewards Points: 24
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hal74 View Post
i'm planning to do a replumb and was wondering what issues i may run into down the road.

in particular, if i pull a permit later for some other work, call an inspector in, and they happen to figure out that i didn't pull a permit when i did the replumb, are they going to make me rip it out?

also what implications does it have when i sell the house?

i live in florida.

thanks in advance.
You've got to check local codes on this one. There are just too many variables, by municipality, to give a blanket answer.

Generally, if you don't pull a permit for something you should have, you will - at best - get snagged if/when you go to sell the house.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Generally, if you don't pull a permit for something you should have, you will - at best - get snagged if/when you go to sell the house.
and is this a legal code enforcement kind of snag or having to negotiate with the buyer?
hal74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,154
Rewards Points: 24
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hal74 View Post
and is this a legal code enforcement kind of snag or having to negotiate with the buyer?
I can't say for sure. I've never encountered it when I've bought or sold.

Again, I'd recommend checking into local codes. It's all a guessing game without doing that.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,907
Rewards Points: 2
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I can't say for sure. I've never encountered it when I've bought or sold.
Me either. I've owned ten houses over the years, and remodeled some portion of every one of them. Other than for a chimney, I've never pulled a permit for anything. Nary a problem selling any of the houses.

When I bought some of these houses, I knew they contained what had to be unpermitted work because it was shoddy and incorrectly done. But I didn't care - it was stuff I planned to gut and replace anyway.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


Hmmmm.... fine line between repair and replumb....

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Foolhardy DIYer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colville, WA
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Hmmmm.... fine line between repair and replumb....

DM
I like that answer as I contemplate a similar project. I guess I'm not "replumbing" my house. I'm just repairing one half of it. As long as I leave some of the old pipes in, it's not a replumb, right? LOL
hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,270
Rewards Points: 64
Default

no permit replumb?


It kind of boils down to this.....

You go to sell the house....one of the selling points "All new plumbing." Ok...buyer is happy...buys the house....but another potential buyer might go down and check to see what permits were pulled. If non for the plumbing....they now have their "get out of contract" card....or, they negotiate you down on the price.

As a buyer....are you going to want to buy a house that had that much done without permits? How do you know it was done right? Go read some of the posts here....a lot of them have to do with new home buyers finding hack work done by previous owners who obviously did not pull permits....

If you never intend to sell the house....it's your home...do what you want.

But if you plan to sell any time soon...save some money and pull permits....you'll save it on the sell and any re-inspection fees that could crop up if you have to do permits after the fact.
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


I have repaired half of my plumbing already, and the other half is will happen sooner or later. I am quite sure what I put in is better than what I took out, and most importantly, it doesn't leak

PEX makes supply plumbing easy. I think I've done about 40 connections now and not a drop of water were I didn't want it with them. Drains are a bit harder, but still not bad. Dealing with traps, runs and drain sizing is is probably were you are most likely to run into troubles.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Member
 
iminaquagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 370
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


I would be less worried about what happens down the road when you sell the house and more what happens if you were to have a flood, fire, or some other catastrophe. I can guarantee your insurance will look for permits before paying out on anything even remotely questionable as to a cause.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


What are you replumbing exactly?
In my area, if you move pipes you need a permit.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 285
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I would be less worried about what happens down the road when you sell the house and more what happens if you were to have a flood, fire, or some other catastrophe. I can guarantee your insurance will look for permits before paying out on anything even remotely questionable as to a cause.
please cite just ONE example of this.

I have never heard of or seen this happen. ( I am referring to PROPER work, done without permits....not substandard work that led to a loss).

Permits do not exist for insurance reasons AT ALL. they serve ONLY 2 purposes: Tax collection, public safety (mrs. oleary's cow).
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,907
Rewards Points: 2
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrack_corn View Post
Permits do not exist for insurance reasons AT ALL. they serve ONLY 2 purposes: Tax collection, public safety (mrs. oleary's cow).
With heavy emphasis on purpose number 1. I had to get a permit and inspection (almost $100) for my pre-manufactured Amish garden shed that has no utilities and just sits on the ground. I struggle to see any public safety implications there.

Just one of the reasons I avoid permits whenever possible.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 0
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
With heavy emphasis on purpose number 1. I had to get a permit and inspection (almost $100) for my pre-manufactured Amish garden shed that has no utilities and just sits on the ground. I struggle to see any public safety implications there.

Just one of the reasons I avoid permits whenever possible.
The Amish get $90.00 of that permit fee. They have they're fingers in a lot of pies. Don't let the hats, beards and horses fool you.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,154
Rewards Points: 24
Default

no permit replumb?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The Amish get $90.00 of that permit fee. They have they're fingers in a lot of pies. Don't let the hats, beards and horses fool you.
Can you clarify that, because that seems pretty far-fetched.

I'm not chiming in, supporting the Amish, but I doubt that the permit fee changes due to who is providing something.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (11-10-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting a building permit after construction is done ChrisJJ General DIY Discussions 22 08-15-2012 08:18 AM
wiring my own home in mass 2nd home Electrical 12 10-06-2011 12:32 PM
DIY Electrical. Permit, Inspection, Liability Concerns Stemboat Electrical 13 08-01-2010 04:21 PM
Basement ceiling height & Permit troubles mayo302 Building & Construction 5 06-04-2010 09:21 PM
No Permit for my Porch and Deck jokiddjr Building & Construction 15 06-13-2007 10:34 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.