Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No Moisture Barrier in Plumbing Repair Trench

I have completely gutted the interior of a one story ranch house. I was reading about converting a patio into a sunroom and was reminded of the problem of moisture under an unprotected slab. Now, I am concerned that my plumber did not attempt to patch or replace the moisture barrier in plumbing trenches that now run throughout my concrete slab. To make matters worse, I recall water sitting in the bottom of some of the trenches. Seems I have a high water table issue. I had hoped to put down ceramic tile in the bathrooms and wood flooring everywhere else. I have read about products that I can paint on the concrete like this one:
http://www.lmcc.com/products/aquapel...uapel_plus.asp
I'm also willing to put down any or all vapor barriers that are appropriate on top of the slab.
I have joined today in hopes of getting everyone's opinion of what to do to insure that I don't have moisture problems due to these trenches. Then maybe I'll use the same treatment for the sunroom. What would you do about this problem?

That70sHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

maybe post this in construction or the flooring thread?

I thought the vapor barrier was there for radon gas and such, drainage conveyed through the drain tile and gravel?

Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

If you have water you can see with the ditch open and you don't have a interior underslab drainage system, you will have problems, sorry.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

I have noticed that this area in the back of the slab is very low. I was planning to excavate the flowerbeds and do some french drains etc.. Is there something more that I can do to add drainage under this existing slab. Can anyone offer any solutions? I would hate to think I must just bulldoze the house, as I'm already well invested in this project. Please help.

Last edited by That70sHouse; 12-24-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
I have read about products that I can paint on the concrete like this one:
I don't think you are understanding what that product is intended to do. It isn't what I think you think it is.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

I do appreciate all of your replies and I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I'm spending my holiday weekend looking for some hope. I really have two situations here. 1. Only one of the trenches had water in it. It's in the rear of the slab on the low side of the property. 2. The other trenches were dry but no attempt was made to replace the vapor barrier in any of them.

I plan to post this question(s) in the construction or flooring forums after the holidays but started here just to get some input from people who have done such repairs. After we scored and jackhammered the trenches, I can't see how we would have ever completely restored the vapor barrier and it's too late to fix that now.

I have read about using Dimpled Plastic Sheet Membrane like this(see photo 11, Figure 3):
http://www.buildingforensics.co.uk/P...r_Problems.pdf
I'm also reading about doing extensive french draining all around the house to help divert as much water as possible but I'm not sure how effective this will be. Any thoughts? I am thankful for any and all ongoing input on any of the above.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

>>>Now, I am concerned that my plumber did not attempt to patch or replace the moisture barrier in plumbing trenches that now run throughout my concrete slab<<<

Unless the plumber patched the concrete it is not his job to patch the vapor barrier; thats the responsibility of who pours the concrete.

>>>I'm also reading about doing extensive french draining all around the house to help divert as much water as possible but I'm not sure how effective this will be.<<<

You need the outside of the house and any downspouts graded away from the foundation, the only way to work on your inside problem is to install drain tiles aroung the inside perimeter to a sump pump.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote