No Hot Water Up Stairs - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

no hot water up stairs

hello all
I have a apt building and I am getting no hot water up stairs? will run hot water have warm to some what hot for aprox 30 sec. then back to luke to cold water the down stairs sink will get steaming hot but can keep your fingers under the hot water and this is with the mixing valve on the furnace turned all the way up on hot wich generaly is scalding hot. I understand the hot water doesnt have to travel far downstairs I suspect the mixing valve on the furnace could be bad as I can put my hand on the hot water pipe flowing out from the mixing valve after i have run the faucets comanding hot water. sugestions please.
thanks, bob

Advertisement

bob_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

no hot water up stairs

Someone in one of the other apartments may have turned off the shower using the sprayer hose and cold water is crossing over at the faucets into the hot water pipe feeding other people's apartments. Like an additional antiscald mixing valve halfway up the building.

The long distance the pipes run is not going to result in lukewarm water coming out upstairs and steaming hot water coming out in the basement laundry sink for more than a minute or two.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

no hot water up stairs

the other apt on a diff furnace/feed this situation is not what happens normally have the mixing valve on furnace turned all the way up that would be scalding hot water and its not the case plenty of water pressure out of both hot and cold so suspecting the mixing valve on furnace i dont believe the set points low/high pertains to the hot water only the base board heat.
bob_c is offline   Reply With Quote