Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

No Hot Water In Shower

While this is not a huge issue it is kind of an annoying one. Our shower does give us warm water, but it is never very hot. Any other faucet in the house will produce very hot water but the shower only gives us warm to slightly hot water. Our house was built in 2007 so it is not old by any means. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am not super well-versed in home repairs and this forum has great information.

Thanks!

BarneyStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
BIGRED

No Hot Water In Shower

Yours is not a dumb question. It sounds like you have fallen prey to the water temperature police.
Not knowing what valve you have in your shower I may be able to just give you the basics. Under the handle and the face plate escutcheon there are 1 or 2 small plastic or metal stops or fingers that limit the travel of the handle. If the stops are set at the off and full on position you will be able to get as high a temperature as your water heater is putting out. According to the Fed's, most states, and Tree Huggers (environmentalists) this is totally unacceptable. If you have young children or elderly living with you these people speak with some element of truth. If it is just you or just adults take the valve handle off, remove the escutcheon and note where the movable stop is sitting on the valve stemwhen it is off. Gently turn the valve on and note which way the stop moves. Depending on your valve you should be able to move the stop 180- 270 deg. in the opposite direction and the temperature should get very hot. By feeling the water set the stop where it is hot enough for you and put it back together.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grampa Bud For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

No Hot Water In Shower

^ bingo. I just recently installed a new shower fixture, and promptly threw the temperature limit back into the box
ClumsyCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

No Hot Water In Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClumsyCarpenter View Post
^ bingo. I just recently installed a new shower fixture, and promptly threw the temperature limit back into the box
As far as I know most of the common valves need that for the handle to sit properly on the stem...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

Thumbs up

No Hot Water In Shower

Not knowing the type or brand of fixture, Moens have a balancing valve in the which will also prevent hot water to the mixture. Try removing the cover plate and adjusting the hot water flow valve first.Or try closing the flow valve entirely and open again, to remove any calcium build-up.

Last edited by Otherbill; 03-19-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Otherbill is offline   Reply With Quote