Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No hot water pressure throughout home

Turning on any hot water tap throughout the house results in a reduced water flow followed immediately by a trickle. The water pressure on the cold water side is fine. I have a 50-gal A. O. Smith gas water heater that I have flushed by opening the drain valve on the heater unit and flushing it from the cold water side. However, there was no rust or scales to be found in the flushing. I still feel that the water heater is the source of my problem, but I'm stumped as to what is restricting the hot water flow out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

firebyrd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebyrd58 View Post
Turning on any hot water tap throughout the house results in a reduced water flow followed immediately by a trickle. The water pressure on the cold water side is fine. I have a 50-gal A. O. Smith gas water heater that I have flushed by opening the drain valve on the heater unit and flushing it from the cold water side. However, there was no rust or scales to be found in the flushing. I still feel that the water heater is the source of my problem, but I'm stumped as to what is restricting the hot water flow out. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Could you possibly post some pics of the hwh so we can better assist you.

I agree, sounds like a blockage/or something got stuck somewhere in your hwh. Everything was fine before you flushed hwh, started after you flushed/drained hwh.

Even though there was no sign of rust or scale buildup, doesn't mean that something didn't get stuck/blocked somewhere. Now the big question, where is the restriction? We may have to ask a few more questions to get the answer.

What kind of nipple does your tank have on the hot water side?

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

When you flushed the heater did you turn off the water supply? If so it's possible the valve is not open fully. If you can, please post a picture.
oh'mike (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,144

If it's an old gate valve you shut off, they often snap off where the stem connects to the gate inside the valve so the handle will turn but it's not doing anything.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

I'm in the Tallahassee, Florida area. I think the nipple on the hot water side is my problem. The problem is that it is an AO Smith FSG50242 built in 2000. Replacement parts are scarce at best so I'm going to Lowe's and pick up a pair of generic dielectric nipples with heat traps and replace mine on the hot water side. Its worth a try considering they are only $12/pair.
To troubleshoot this, I basically shut off the cold water side of the water heater (after flushing it again) and then backflushed from various faucets that I had placed aluminum foil in the screens to shut the flow off out of the faucets. Once I turned the hot and cold water on those faucets, it forced the water back up the hot water lines to the hot water but nothing was coming out of the water heater drain left open. When I cracked the seal on the fitting to the hot water nipple, water forcibly sprayed everywhere suggesting to me that the restriction is at the nipple or below it.

Last edited by firebyrd58; 07-22-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: update the area where i live
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,262

Some nipples have check balls in them- not heat traps. You may be pushing against the check ball

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check
jmon (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,144

Never heard of anyone trying to flush out a water heater by applying pressure on the supply sides.
Just the incoming cold water supply should have been more then enough to flush it out.
If I was going to do it your way they sell adaptors that screw right in place of the aerators with an valve stem. There made for blowing out lines to winterize the system.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #8

Moreover low hot water pressure usually has to do with something in the hot water heater. Tank heaters build up a lot of sediment over the years, and there could easily be a blockage caused by loose rust or debris. Those in the know recommend flushing – not just draining and refilling – hot water heaters every three months as part of regular maintenance, but if you are like most people the chances are pretty good you have never done this. , but if you are a DIYer you can attach s hose to the water heater drain valve, run it outside, turn the drain valve on and let it run a while. If there is a blockage, the water will probably run red for a while and then when it clears the blockage is probably gone. Shut the valve off, drain the water heater, and all should be well.

Last edited by beenthere; 08-21-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Removed his company'd name from post.
drakejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #9

The source of my problem was a "calcification" for lack of a better term underneath the nipple on the hot water outflow side of the tank. Once I pulled the nipple off (sounds painful, I know), there was a complete blockage except for a tiny hole about 5mm in diameter. I used a screwdriver and hammer along with hot vinegar to remove the stalactite that had grown in my tank, backflushed it again to remove the residue I had chipped back into the tank, replaced it with a new nipple and I'm running great. Thanks for all the help I received on this site!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firebyrd58 For This Useful Post:
jmon (07-23-2013), TheEplumber (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebyrd58 View Post
The source of my problem was a "calcification" for lack of a better term underneath the nipple on the hot water outflow side of the tank. Once I pulled the nipple off (sounds painful, I know), there was a complete blockage except for a tiny hole about 5mm in diameter. I used a screwdriver and hammer along with hot vinegar to remove the stalactite that had grown in my tank, backflushed it again to remove the residue I had chipped back into the tank, replaced it with a new nipple and I'm running great. Thanks for all the help I received on this site!
Finding the tank in that condition I couldn't rest comfortable until the PT valve was replaced. I've seen them with so much "calcification" they looked like a glob of barnacle growth and no way would they be a safety feature in that condition.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #11

Good idea. Thanks!