Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Newbie Home Owner

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

No Hot Water out of Shower Faucet

Hi, I just bought a new home and one of the things the home inspector noted was that the guest bathroom upstairs had no hot/cold adjustments in the shower. There was hot water out of all the other locations in the house, it just seems this one is busted. The water turns off and on fine, but no change in water temperature.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thanks!

HoldDaMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Oldie but Newbie

If there's hot water in the adjacent sink, then either the shower faucet handle isn't letting in hot water due to a problem with the mixing valve or the pipe to the faucet isn't connected to a hot water line.

How easy is it to look at the plumbing behind this?

I guess I'd start by opening it up to look at the shower faucet apparatus and the incoming pipes to see if you can detect any abnormalities.

LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Newbie Home Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookoutRanch View Post
If there's hot water in the adjacent sink, then either the shower faucet handle isn't letting in hot water due to a problem with the mixing valve or the pipe to the faucet isn't connected to a hot water line.

How easy is it to look at the plumbing behind this?

I guess I'd start by opening it up to look at the shower faucet apparatus and the incoming pipes to see if you can detect any abnormalities.
Thanks for the quick response.

The house is built in 2006 and I believe the inspector mentioned something about the faucet handle and the mixing valve, I'm just not too sure how I go about checking that out. I guess I'll try and get the faucet handle off and check it out?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Oldie but Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

The house is built in 2006 and I believe the inspector mentioned something about the faucet handle and the mixing valve, I'm just not too sure how I go about checking that out. I guess I'll try and get the faucet handle off and check it out?
I've never had experience with one of those single-handle things, so I don't know how they're set up inside, but you may be able to find a helpful diagram with an exploded view on the web.

There may be a pdf on the website of the manufacturer, showing all the individual parts inside.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Oldie but Newbie

Here's a post that might interest you.

Problem after a plumbing repair
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Newbie Home Owner

Thanks again Lookout, I'll keep that post in mind, although I'm a little confused as to how the mount functions, I'm sure it will become more clear to me once I get a look at the guts.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Man of many hats

I tried to blow up the pic to no avail, but I believe that on that model, there is a little plastic cover on the underside of the handle that hides the opening to the set screw. It most likely has a hex(allen) head set screw holding the handle on. Once you have that removed you should be able to see the hot water limiter that is attached to the cartridge. Usually a plastic ring that can slip off and be moved conter-clockwise to allow greater hot water flow.
Good luck!
Brett