Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No hot water out of my kitchen faucet

Ok, the problem I have is with my kitchen faucet. It is a single lever Price Pfister. When I turn the hot water on, it comes out just a little warm.
I disconnected the hot water supply line from underneath the sink and no hot water comes out from the stop valve. The water pressure is ok. The hot water work well at every other faucet in the house.
In another tread, someone mention a water temperature regulator, but I have no idea how to find out if there is one installed here in my house. I don't think the hot water line is clogged or anything because the pressure is ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

JTapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Have you ever had hot water here ? If the water line is connected to the hot water line you should have hot water out of the stop

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Does water come out of the hot water supply pipe and if it does, is it hot? If it comes out, but of little volume, make sure valve is fully open. Any other plumbing work done in the house recently? Is this pipe far from the water heater?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

You disconnected the hot water supply line where? From the faucet set itself, or from the stop valve? IF you have the supply line disconnected from the stop valve, and the stop valve is one of those plastic 1/4 turn type, this may be your problem. These, IMO, are notorious for the handle spinning on the stem and the ball inside the valve body not turning. Unfortunately you will have to shut off the water supply to the entire home to remove this stop valve for inspection.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Have you ever had hot water here ? If the water line is connected to the hot water line you should have hot water out of the stop
Yes, I remember having hot water like a year ago.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Does water come out of the hot water supply pipe and if it does, is it hot? If it comes out, but of little volume, make sure valve is fully open. Any other plumbing work done in the house recently? Is this pipe far from the water heater?

Yes, water comes out of the hot water supply pipe but it is not hot. I comes out at room temperature and just a little bit warm sometimes. It comes out at full volume. I replaced the water heater about a month ago but I had this problem even before. I bought this house about a year ago and it is about 6 years old. The faucet is a bit far from the water heater, but my shower is farther from the water heater and I get hot water in my shower.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You disconnected the hot water supply line where? From the faucet set itself, or from the stop valve? IF you have the supply line disconnected from the stop valve, and the stop valve is one of those plastic 1/4 turn type, this may be your problem. These, IMO, are notorious for the handle spinning on the stem and the ball inside the valve body not turning. Unfortunately you will have to shut off the water supply to the entire home to remove this stop valve for inspection.

I disconnected it from the stop valve. But the stop valve is not one of those plastic ones. It is one of those silver metal ones.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTapia View Post
Yes, water comes out of the hot water supply pipe but it is not hot. I comes out at room temperature and just a little bit warm sometimes. It comes out at full volume. I replaced the water heater about a month ago but I had this problem even before. I bought this house about a year ago and it is about 6 years old. The faucet is a bit far from the water heater, but my shower is farther from the water heater and I get hot water in my shower.
Makes no sense to me since shower gets hot water and is further away (and when it does; does the kitchen water still not get hot?) unless there is some mixing valve or some sort of crossover with cold water supply possibility and/or this piping is exposed to very cold temperatures somewhere and is taking the heat from the water to warm up, delaying hot water delivery.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
I disconnected it from the stop valve. But the stop valve is not one of those plastic ones. It is one of those silver metal ones.
Ayuh,... Is hot water available At the stop valve,..??

If so, the faucet cartridge is stuck/ corroded/ plugged...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,036

That is, now that you disconnected the faucet lead from the shutoff (stop) valve, if you let the water run longer from the stop valve into a bucket below then does the water get hot eventually?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Makes no sense to me since shower gets hot water and is further away (and when it does; does the kitchen water still not get hot?) unless there is some mixing valve or some sort of crossover with cold water supply possibility and/or this piping is exposed to very cold temperatures somewhere and is taking the heat from the water to warm up, delaying hot water delivery.

You are right, it does not make sense at all and that's why i'm seeking help here in this forum. I've tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
That is, now that you disconnected the faucet lead from the shutoff (stop) valve, if you let the water run longer from the stop valve into a bucket below then does the water get hot eventually?
When i disconnected it, I only let it run for like 2 minutes. I guess I need to disconnect it again and let it run for 5-10 minutes to see if I get hot water.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
When i disconnected it, I only let it run for like 2 minutes. I guess I need to disconnect it again and let it run for 5-10 minutes to see if I get hot water.

If it's tied to the hot water side of the wh, it will have to get hot out of the stop valve sooner or later

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote