Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No hot water in the master bathroom tub

I own a home that is 5 years-old. I lived in it since it was built. I noticed that there was no hot water coming out. I shut off the main valve to the house and took of the single handle. I then took off the guts inside of the fixture, had my son turnt eh water back on and noticed that the water was comng out off only one tube and the second one was dry. The house is relatively new and has no galvanized pipes. I also notice last night that the sink in my garage has no hot water as well. The rest of the house is okay. Can anybody help me with this and possible trouble shooting tips or possible solutions? Thank you.

Will35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

check the supply lines for the hot water tank, entry and exit sides, if you have a tank. Try closing them and re-opening them. Sometimes people only open them one full turn and sediment builds up blocking the opening.

Otherbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otherbill For This Useful Post:
Will35 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Will,
if it's only the shower and garage sink without hot water, and the other sinks are ok, there is a valve shutoff somewhere on the hot water side. Start tracing the hot water from the hot water tank outward and look for any shutoffs. They shouldn't be hidden behind drywall, especially in a house that new, unless somebody finished off the basement ceilings. Let us know what you find. If it were just the shower, I would say to check and see if your shower control valve has built in stops. they look like a small brass slotted screw. They move a quarter turn to open of close the water.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Will35 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #4

You may want to replace the old valve cartridge. search how to replace cartridge in youtube for instruction. Are you using well water? if the water is too hard, or defect of the cartridge, the holes will not line up, you won't get hot water, especially.

First thing, remove the cartridge to see if you get hot water out. if yes, buy a cartridge from homedepot about 10 bucks. this will save you at least 100 dollars from plumber.
dongdong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dongdong1 For This Useful Post:
Will35 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

Thank you everyone for your help in this matter. Otherbill, I took your advice and the valve was already fully open. So, I closed it back up and open it again. Still no hot water in the master bedroom tub. dongdong1, I took off the old valve cartridge and there is no hot water coming out. It is regular city water and yes, the water here is hard. Mike, I saw the built in stop and it is difficult to turn. Now, when I took the cartridge off the pipe that is on the side of the built in stop it works properly. The pipe on the other side of that one is the side where there is no water. Now, the built in stop was inside. If I turn it will this loosen any blockage in that pipe?

Last edited by Will35; 05-17-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Not enough info
Will35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Will,
I am not clear on your description. There should be a stop on each side. On the side you aren't getting any water out of the pipe, did you try and turn the stop? It's only a quarter turn. Can you take a couple of pics and post them, that would help.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote