Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #1

Share |

No hot water!

Hot water stopped flowing on our faucets. I checked our water heater and found out that the burner inside is not on. All i see is a little single flame, the same as what you would see when you turn the heater on after it's been off. How can I fix it? HELP PLEASE.

Pinoyhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #2

No hot water!

If it's the pilot you see, try looking turning the valve that has the various settings... i.e. pilot, warm, hot, vacation.... you might just need to turn it... if you're lucky...

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

No hot water!

Are you getting cold water or no water when you turn on the hot faucet?

Set the small knob in the "run" or "on" position. The small flame should still be on, otherwise you need to follow the pilot lighting instructions.

Slowly turn the large dial up. Observe when (or if) the burner comes on. Then slowly turn the dial back to where it was minus three notches. Observe when (or if) the burner (if it came on) shuts off again. If the turn on point and turn off point are near each other chances are the waer heater is working properly.

Put the dial back where it was perhaps plus one notch. But do not leave it in the "very hot" range unless the water never gets hot.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

No hot water!

Thanks for the response guys. I have actually turned the large red dial back and forth but it has not changed the size of the flame. I have turned it off and re-lighted it, but it still wont fully flame up. Then plus the hot water pressure is low in any faucet in the house. I am planning to replace the THERMOCOUPLE. Is this a good idea? Is my problem not just a single problem?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Experienced

No hot water!

If the thermocouple was bad your pilot would not stay lit.

Like some has asked are you getting water out of the tap when the hot water valve is open?

If you are getting water and its cold, I would be looking at the thermostat on the tank, this is what would call for the main burner to light.

Mark
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #6

No hot water!

Double check. When the small knob is in the "pilot" position it can be pressed in or pulled out (usually it pops out by itself). Be sure it is in the out position before turning it to "run".
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

No hot water!

Thanks! Hot water pressure in all faucets is low and cold. The pilot light stays on even if the large dial is in the "on" position. I checked the dial and its not stucked. Do you guys think that the burner is the problem? But why is my hot water pressure also low? Do you think the piping for the hot water is clogged? But why is the burner not working?