No Hot Water At 1 Tap - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


1 of the showers in our house does not flow hot water. In the same bathroom the sink hot tap works but not at the shower. All the other hot taps around the house work. I researched and good said maybe airlock, but that would cause the whole house to not have hot water right? Any ideas?

Advertisement

C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,448
Rewards Points: 564
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


What kind of shower valve is it? A make/model and a picture will help.

Advertisement

__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


It's a moan.
Attached Thumbnails
No hot water at 1 tap-image-1224950685.jpg   No hot water at 1 tap-image-2564038010.jpg  
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Rob
 
Robpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Spring Creek NV
Posts: 898
Rewards Points: 550
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
1 of the showers in our house does not flow hot water. In the same bathroom the sink hot tap works but not at the shower. All the other hot taps around the house work. I researched and good said maybe airlock, but that would cause the whole house to not have hot water right? Any ideas?
Is this a new shower you just installed? It look similar to the one I helped my neighbor install. The parts in the instructions didn't match with the parts we got. I can't remember what we did to get it to work but I had to jury-rig something. The handle would either spin all the way around or not far enough to reach the hot.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


Is that white plastic thing suppose to turn? It seemed locked up.
Attached Thumbnails
No hot water at 1 tap-image-1176001709.jpg  
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


No this shower is in a guest bath and has only been used a dozen times in the last 7 years.
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Rob
 
Robpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Spring Creek NV
Posts: 898
Rewards Points: 550
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


I would try to find the install instructions online.
http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/inst...ets/mt692c.pdf
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


I am suspecting that maybe the cartridge is blocked. Does the cartridge pull straightnoutmafter taking the spring retainer out? I gave mine a tug but it' does not budge. I don't wanted to break if if it is supposed to pull out easy.

I am trying not to have to cut the sheetrock on the back side of the shower to get to the valve.
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C_J_GO For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Rob
 
Robpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Spring Creek NV
Posts: 898
Rewards Points: 550
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
I am suspecting that maybe the cartridge is blocked. Does the cartridge pull straightnoutmafter taking the spring retainer out? I gave mine a tug but it' does not budge. I don't wanted to break if if it is supposed to pull out easy.

I am trying not to have to cut the sheetrock on the back side of the shower to get to the valve.
The notch on brass has to be between 11and 12 o'clock.
grasp with pliers and pull. after taking out retaining clip of course.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,251
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


You need a moen cartridge. 1222b I think. Runs about 20 bucks.

Shut the water off, relieve the pressure.
Remove the keeper pin by pulling it up out of the valve.
The new cartridge should come with a white plastic "puller" to help you get the cartridge out.
Caution- sometimes they don't want to come out. You then need to purchase a moen cartridge puller. If you break the cartridge into pieces- your 30 min. job just became a 1/2 day job.

Pay attention to the notch configuration on the stem and put the new one in the same way or your hot/cold will be backwards.

Moen may have a video at their site. Your valve is a posi-temp
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-10-2014), C_J_GO (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
New House Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 75
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
You need a moen cartridge. 1222b I think. Runs about 20 bucks. Shut the water off, relieve the pressure. Remove the keeper pin by pulling it up out of the valve. The new cartridge should come with a white plastic "puller" to help you get the cartridge out. Caution- sometimes they don't want to come out. You then need to purchase a moen cartridge puller. If you break the cartridge into pieces- your 30 min. job just became a 1/2 day job. Pay attention to the notch configuration on the stem and put the new one in the same way or your hot/cold will be backwards. Moen may have a video at their site. Your valve is a posi-temp
Cartridge was the culprit. It was a pita to get out. When I finally got it out all the rubber pieces can out in little shreds. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C_J_GO For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-10-2014), TheEplumber (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,276
Rewards Points: 3,192
Default

No hot water at 1 tap


Just a tip--roll up some fine sand paper and polish the inside of the valve body before you install the new cartridge---then lubricate with plumbers grease (a little tube comes with the cartridge)

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-10-2014), TheEplumber (05-10-2014)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Water Heater Issue I Bet You've Never Experienced Before hellohello Plumbing 6 01-09-2014 12:40 AM
Oil fired furnace and hot water heater question steveinpa Plumbing 3 08-10-2010 09:42 AM
water borehole question joeuser General DIY Discussions 2 04-18-2010 11:33 PM
How Do I Properly Shock Chlorinate a Water Softner classicflytyer Plumbing 5 07-14-2009 01:15 AM
Low Hot Water Pressure btennant Plumbing 4 12-09-2008 10:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts