Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

No flow from Delta 1700 shower valve after cartridge replacement

After substantial sand from the well causing havoc and replacement of the hot water heater core in our furnace, the shower/tub valve got plugged and we got no flow.

We have now installed a whole house water filter for the future. Then we bought a replacement cartridge for the shower, took out the old one, cleaned the valve body, and installed the new cartridge - result is zero flow again! We have tried installing the "hot side" on the left and on the right and each time get the same zero flow!

Also tried cleaning the old cartridge and reinstalling it with the same results. When the cartridge is removed and the water turned on, we get a healthy stream from the valve body. Does anyone out there know of something else to try??

I plan to probe both sides of the valve body for scale or blockage, but beyond that I am at a loss... how about vapor lock - any chance of air in the line during installation causing the spool in the cartridge to slam shut??

I have also double checked that the holes in the cartridge line up with the holes in the valve body when the handle points to open, so I don't think we are 90 degrees out of phase... PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-10-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added spaces
billyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

I have exactly the same situation, I replaced the cartridge with a Delta RP46463 and it seems to "slam shut" when water is applied.

I cannot see how this could be happening on both the old and new cartridge alike. The new cartridge has seen zero sediment.

I do see a reference to an older cartridge.. is the Delta RP32104 the answer?

myswapspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
DIY staff

If this is a shower only --the head may be plugged up---if you have a tub spout you will want to call Delta technical help---they are always good to me--I hope you have the same experience.---Mike---
Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanks, I actually did reach Delta and they were very helpful but did not solve the problem. Nonetheless, I think I have found the solution. There are three holes in the brass valve body. One for hot water in, one for cold water in and one for mixed water out. I never thought the valve cartridge could pass clogging material through it that would clog the exit port, but in face, more aggressive cleaning of the exit port seems to have restored water flow. (I used compressed air with a rubber nipple to blow out crud in the exit.) I now thin this is the cause for the "slamming: sound when I would try to pass water through, the water would pass through the cartridge but with no exit available it would stop short and "slam" shut.

I actually wish I could clean that valve body more.. maybe I will look for a long slim brush/snake to pass through the exit port. Its still not flowing as much as I would like.

Thanks again.

Bryan
myswapspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myswapspace View Post
Thanks, I actually did reach Delta and they were very helpful but did not solve the problem. Nonetheless, I think I have found the solution. There are three holes in the brass valve body. One for hot water in, one for cold water in and one for mixed water out. I never thought the valve cartridge could pass clogging material through it that would clog the exit port, but in face, more aggressive cleaning of the exit port seems to have restored water flow. (I used compressed air with a rubber nipple to blow out crud in the exit.) I now thin this is the cause for the "slamming: sound when I would try to pass water through, the water would pass through the cartridge but with no exit available it would stop short and "slam" shut.

I actually wish I could clean that valve body more.. maybe I will look for a long slim brush/snake to pass through the exit port. Its still not flowing as much as I would like.

Thanks again.

Bryan
Do you have a hose spigot before the shutoff for the house? Pull the cartridge back out, and use any available water outlet to blow water (and hopefully your crud) back from the showerhead outlet, and into the valve body.

The other thing to think about is that these are pressure balance valves. If you don't have equal pressure/flow on the hot and cold, you're only going to get whatever the smallest flow rate is. You mentioned a problem with the hot water heater earlier, is the flow out of the hot side of the other faucets in your house equivalent to the flow out of the cold?
myswapspace (11-17-2011)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

I'm having the same prob as Alan. Was this issue ever resolved? Did flushing the system restore water flow?

Any help appreciated.

Adamas is offline   Reply With Quote