No Cold Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

No cold water

I'm a complete newbie so bear with me. I just bought my first home a couple weeks ago and when I went to turn on cold water to do laundry nothing came out (cold/cold cycle). I made sure the faucets behind the machine were turned on, and hot water worked. Then I checked bathroom sink next to the laundry room and discovered the cold water doesn't work there either. The sink has a single handle to turn cold/hot on and I naively thought the water just got warm quickly because it was next to the hot water heater. But when I turn the cold on only, no water comes out. The kitchen has no issue with the cold water and is on the same floor as the laundry and that bathroom. I also have cold water to all faucets upstairs.

This is a town home with no crawl space. The area where the water isnít working is in the middle of the house and shares a wall with another unit (currently empty). I bought this house on a short sale and did the inspection back in November, but it didnít officially close until March. I donít have a lot of faith in the inspector I used so itís highly possible he missed this, but I do know renters were living there in October and I happened to go on a tour of the unit while they were in there. The renter said there were no issues he was aware of. To me, this is a huge issue and I canít imagine that slipping his mind. Iím wondering if the ďwinterizationĒ caused something to clog the line between the two outlets. Should I talk to the company that did the winterization?

Iíve tried keeping the faucets open for about an hourÖbut that didnít solve anything. I am curious about what else I can do, or if I can snake the line on my own. I donít want to force a clog into the kitchen area. Right now this is a pain, but at least I can cook and have showers upstairs. Trying to avoid a plumber, but like I said, Iím a newbie and have little more than a hammer and screwdriver in my toolbox. J

Thanks!

Advertisement

lefty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

No cold water

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty3 View Post
Should I talk to the company that did the winterization?
I'd do this first, it sounds to me like maybe someone forgot to turn a valve back on somewhere.

DM

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

No cold water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
it sounds to me like maybe someone forgot to turn a valve back on somewhere.

DM
i agree, because you have cold water in other parts of the house, we kow that there is cold water. you have hot water, so we know that the water heater is being fed by the supply (cold water).

if the pipes are in view, follow them back along, you will likely find a shut off valve that has been closed. open it and you will be good to go....

good luck.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
the Musigician

No cold water

Yup, I'd start in the water heater area, trace pipes from there.

DM
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

No cold water

The pipes are behind the wall, but there is some drywall under the sink that I might be able to get into to and take a look. I am going with my agent into the other units to see if for some odd reason there is a shut off valve in those units. These were originally built as rentals and maybe there is a main valve in a different unit (although I hope not). Thanks!
lefty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
the Musigician

No cold water

It'll be accessible, you'll find it. Po)

DM

Advertisement

Tags
clog , cold water line , water