Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Share |

Nightmare water tank job

I just got back from replacing an 80 gallon water tank for a guy. He was not getting much hot water for his baths or showers. One would thing that an 80 gallon hot water heater set at 120 would give him enough hot water.

The elements tested out just fine.

When I opened up the drain valve NOTHING came out. Not even a drop.

I hooked up a hose and tried to flush the tank to get the sediment to loosen up. It was not to be. There was no flow. I had removed the flex lines and there was no pressure in the tank.

At this point replacing the tank was the only option.

The tank would not budge it was so heavy. My partner and I finally got a carpet under it and moved it a few feet. It was just too heavy.

Finally we just pushed the tank over and it hit hard. We had a hose hooked up to the top of the tank and drained it into the floor drain.

Soon the water stopped flowing and we tried to move the tank. It was just as heavy as it was before. We finally gave up for the day and went home.

My buddy brought an old scale that his father had given him and it was rated for 3000 pounds. The "empty" tank weighed 1600 freakin pounds.

Two days later after flushing the tank many times to get the sediment out and making a big mess in the process we finally got it up the stairs and out the door. It took 4 of us and we had to build a ramp to keep from damaging the stairs.

We still couldn't get it loaded and had to flush it for another full day. Finally the drain started to flow. It was like thick mud and wouldn't flow unless we put a lot of water to it. Eventually we got the tank in the truck for disposal.

During this time I kept the homeowner advised of the bill and he was not shocked when he got it. Needless to say a simple push and pull because the water heater replacement from hell.

The tank still weights 300 pounds.

He is on a well and never drained his tank in 10 years.

Moral of the story.

FLUSH YOUR TAKE AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 3 YEARS. If you are on a well do it every year. It will keep your element working for a lot longer and prevent a huge bill.

Or at the very least get a 40 gallon water tank.

Time to go soak in the Jacuzzi. I am tired and sore.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Eibwen

Nightmare water tank job

All I can say is "wow"

1600 Pounds??!!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #3

Nightmare water tank job

My buddy just called me and the scrappers who picked up the tank said it was a 120 gallon tank. It seemed kind of big to be an 80.

It was a State Solar tank. Never heard of that company.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

Nightmare water tank job

Ya just have to love those "memorable" jobs. While State is not a common name in water heaters, they are the largest manufacturer in the world. started out making wood stoves in 1946 and water heaters in 1948. They are out of Ashland City TN and have 2900 employees. Put out 10,000 units per day. I am sure they produce units for other name brands.

Last edited by majakdragon; 11-04-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added info
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

Nightmare water tank job

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Ya just have to love those "memorable" jobs. While State is not a common name in water heaters, they are the largest manufacturer in the world. started out making wood stoves in 1946 and water heaters in 1948. They are out of Ashland City TN and have 2900 employees. Put out 10,000 units per day. I am sure they produce units for other name brands.
Wow. Never heard of them. I have been replacing water heaters for over 40 years all over the northwest and Alaska and would think that I would have heard of them during that time. You probably got it dialed when they brand for other companies.

There were no other marking on the tank except the electrical information and the solar in and solar out.

On top of the 3 day removal I trashed my knee and can barely walk today.

I am getting too old for this crap. I should have just stayed retired but sitting is just not my cup of tea.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #6

Nightmare water tank job

I know the feelings that come with age. Back in my youth (if my memory will go that far) I abused my body without thinking. Now I am paying for it. I have included a link for the State water heaters that shows their history.

http://www.statewaterheaters.com/about.html
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Nightmare water tank job

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I know the feelings that come with age. Back in my youth (if my memory will go that far) I abused my body without thinking. Now I am paying for it. I have included a link for the State water heaters that shows their history.

http://www.statewaterheaters.com/about.html
Geez, they are huge (along with that tank we pulled out).

I couldn't find that solar tank we pulled on their web site. Probably discontinued it.

I was looking through the paperwork that came with the tank. It was put in in 1985 and was still holding water. That's impressive.

The dry weight was 367 pounds and full of water it is 1367.

On the paperwork there is no indication of who made the tank. No address, no contact information and not even the company name. Weird.