Newbie To The Forum W/a Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie to the forum w/a problem

Hi all new to the forum and would welcome any sugestions to a plumbing nitemare. I recently bought a 70 yro house and gutted the original basement bathroom. The plumbers at the time knocked a hole in the cast iron waste elbow under the foundation floor and inserted a 3" cast pipe for the toilet flange and sealed the connection with cement. During the demo the 3" seperated from the elbow due to age ant rot. To continue using the 2nd level bathroom I shoved a 3" pvc pipe into the hole in the cast elbow and used quick hardening putty to seal around it and capped the other end for a quick fix. Can I use 3' pvc into the cast elbow for the toilet and seal it with hydraulic cement and when that sets fill with cement around the elbow as did the original plumbers?. To replace the elbow would be major work to avoid. Thanks' for any and all sugestions.
Joe.

Advertisement

rello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

If it's that bad it all should have been removed and replaced with PVC or it's just going to fail someplace else.
There should have been a new Tee with furnco couplings not a bunch or putty for a leak free joint.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply...The cast elbow is still solid..the 3'' cast pipe to the elbow connection rotted. Just for a temporary fix I plugged it with 3" pvc and used the hardening putty around that so I could use the second floor bathroom for now, so I guess what my question is can I use a 3" pvc to the cast elbow and fill around it with hydraulic cement?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

In the plumbing section of the store---you will find a black rubber 'doughnut; a hub coupling---that is used to seal a PVC pipe properly into the cast iron hub---

Slip the PVC into the doughnut---then slide the pipe/coupling against the hub---pound the rubber into the hub with a hammer and a block of wood.

Mark the pipe/ doughnut joint with a marker---some times the PVC will slip out as you beat the doughnut into the hub---the mark will tell you if it's slipping so you can drive the PVC back in before it slips out to far.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

Thanks Mike for the info and your patience!..if the cast elbow dosent have a hub (just a hole was knocked out on the side of it) would I still be able to use the doughnut?? and if so should I seal around that connection w/cement?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

A picture would help---but--no cement---pipes expand and contract---so a rubber connector is used between the iron and the PVC----PVC is held together by cleaning/priming--then ;welding; with the 'glue' --that is not really a glue--it melts the plastic together---

Different rubber fittings are available----FERNCO makes most of them--do a google image search for ideas.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,468

I think from your description the cast elbow with hole smashed in the side of it will need to be replaced with an elbow with the proper connection. Then you can use the no hub rubber connector to attach your PVC pipe.

Advertisement