Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

New water system on farm in south africa, PLEASE HELP!!!

I run a guest farm in South Africa. I'm working off a very time consuming and difficult water system. The water i receive is gravity fed from my farms main dam into different areas where the water is settled, filtered and chemically influenced. The problem I'm facing is that due having a guest farm I'm always faced with the problem of water. my main problem is not being able to supply water quick enough to my guests. The water is fed into a 50000l cement dam (shown on attachment(4)) from a 10000l tank that takes two days to fill up and settle. On a busy night that water gets used up fairly quickly and Im more than often having to buy water in, not because i don't have it, but because i cant get it to my guests quick enough. Im open to any new suggestions (except for anything too financially straining) where i can make this a less stressful part of my daily work.

P.S. Im very handy with my hands so making something etc etc im very open too.
Attached Thumbnails
New water system on farm in south africa, PLEASE HELP!!!-tanks.jpg  

swanie.pfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Water Treatment

I wonder if some thing like this used in your second tank or even the first holding area could speed any thing up.
http://www.tripleo.com/default.htm
Gravity is good but it is slow and it sounds like you need to speed things up to recover the water used by the guests.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

The problem is the first tank (#3 in dwg). It is limiting flow to 5,000L per day. By putting in a second tank of the same size, you could be filling tank 3B while settling Tank 3A. This would double the system thru flow to 10,000L per day.

I would also give some consideration to another filter. Piped correctly, you could use either one or both in filling the tanks. If one developes a problem, the other could still maintain flow. Right now, if the filter packs up, you have no backup and would have to resolve the problem to restore flow.

The above is based upon the assumption that you have an average minimum flow of 10,000L per day into the 50,000L "cement dam".
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote