Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new water supply

I am in South Carolina, presently on well water. They have just installed new water main at street and I am waiting for installation of meter before I plumb new supply to house. I have 580' from meter to where I will tie into existing 1" pvc near well house. One person at water co. told me I should use 1/1/2" pvc another said 2" to be for sure. I'm a little confused. The water main is 6", they tapped a 1" line from there to the meter about 12' away and have a 3/4" shut off valve I tie into. Does this sound right? And any suggestions. Thanks
Steve

vaconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

new water supply

580' is a long way, the people telling you to go larger piping are trying to keep your friction loss down on that long of a run. For example, if your flowing 10 gpm through a 1" line that goes 580 feet, your friction loss will be close to 17 psi, and that doesn't include elevation loss or fitting loss. But if you flow 10 gpm through a 1-1/2" line, the friction loss drops to around 2 psi. If you up it to a 2" line, it drops even further to 0.6 psi.

Meters are always installed one pipe size smaller than the line size for accurate readings. pressure loss through the 12 feet of 1" and the 3/4" meter will be low, around 1/2 psi drop. If you connect into the 3/4" pipe, then jump up to 1-1/2" for the 580 foot run, you won't have any more than say 5 psi loss from the street main to your house. If the house sits higher than the road, your going to have some pressure loss due to elevation on top of it. If you know what pressure the main is operating, how high above the street your house is, I can better estimate what pressure you'll see where the line comes in your house and give you better advice on the line size. It could be 1-1/2", 2", or even 1-1/4" might work if the pressure in the street is high.

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

new water supply

Thanks, I haven't shot elevations but I think I'll go with the 2" since cost ins't that much of a factor. And I'm asssuming since I'm going with that size, sch 40 pvc in 20' lengths is my only real option. A local plumbing house said they could get roll 2" but I would never be able to install it without a machine because of it's stiffness. So last question is this the right pipe?
Thanks
vaconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

new water supply

You want to make sure you use the right type of Sch. 40 PVC. Piping meant for pressure applications should be stamped ASTM D1785. You don't want to use Sch. 40 drainage piping for water supply. The piping should also be stamped with a pressure rating and also have a laboratory seal or mark indicating that it is suitable for potable water. You should also pressure test the 580' run before making the final connection to your house to make sure there are no leaks.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Engineer For This Useful Post:
vaconcrete (05-25-2010)
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

new water supply

srry misspoke