Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new water lines

I am replacing all the water lines from the main line throughout the house. I am in PA northwest and it can get very cold. What type of piping should I use?? I would like to use cpvc if I can set it up somehow to make it unlikely that it will crack(anyway to reinforce or maybe larger dia hub lines in the basement where its mostly unheated)(basement is where waterline and water heater are) my other choices are copper(probably least likely to crack?) and PEX i heard something about but which I am unfamilar with. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also the house was empty for a year and half, and has a water heater about 6 years old. What are the chances this still works??

thanks for any info

JahDoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #2

new water lines

So I answered one of my own questions...I will be using PEX. Now my questions are is there a brand anyone recommends? Also what size should I use I was thinking either 1/2 or 3/4.

I also think i will be replacing my water heater with a tankless unit. Any recommendations for a solid, yet cheap unit. How hard are they to install myself?? Could I possibly vent the NG fumes into the hood my current water heater uses?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

new water lines

Sizing the water supply is determined on the total number if fixtures in the house, but rule of thumb is no more to two fixtures on one 1/2" line, so size accodingly, as far as tankless, don't care for them and is not a DIY job, they can be trouble, so I say away from them myself.

Use aquapex for pex pipe.

We use zurn, but not sure you can get it at a local home center

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

Question

new water lines

I live in florida. What is PEX! I know cpvc, copper, galvanized piping and pvc and call me uneducated after remodeling 74 homes, but what is PEX? Did I miss something along the way? Maybe I have the beginnings of alzheimers.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Journeyman Plumber

new water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailfun View Post
I live in florida. What is PEX! I know cpvc, copper, galvanized piping and pvc and call me uneducated after remodeling 74 homes, but what is PEX? Did I miss something along the way? Maybe I have the beginnings of alzheimers.
Check this out.

http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html

Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #6

new water lines

I believe I have running the Pex lines figured out...I remembering reading someone say you cannot hook PEX up directly to a water heater though. What is the common practice for accomplishing this??
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #7

new water lines

I now know PEX
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #8

new water lines

actually my friends call PEX "slap line". sorry me so stupid.... never trust a friend.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Journeyman Plumber

new water lines

We use water heater flex connects to make the connection.

I don't think there is anything saying you can't connect PEX directly to a water heater. It just makes sense to use flex connects for easy diconnects when needed.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

new water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
...I don't think there is anything saying you can't connect PEX directly to a water heater.
I believe each manufacturer may have their own guidelines...for example Durapex states (page 21) that with electric water heaters, direct is fine, gas must have 12" between the Pex and heater. I thought I read another brand recommend 18". Bottom line when planing for the installation follow your MFG's installation guidelines.

I've read a lot about recommendations on the types of connectors...and it seems that there's no clear winner...which is a good thing as it speaks highly to the many different brands out there. The tools to make the connection vary greatly in price. I choose the copper crimp rings and they worked well. The tool does 1/2 and 3/4 rings. Most seemed to choose what ever their supply house carried whether it was a pro shop or home center.

FWIW -- I just installed pex in my house, first experience with pex and it was a dream...ran one day, pressure tested the next...no leaks...couldn't believe it. BTW when you run the pex line set it up so you can unroll the pex rather than uncoil (it will lay alot flatter)

Good luck!

Rip

Last edited by RippySkippy; 02-22-2007 at 07:11 AM.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

new water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahDoos View Post
... tankless unit. Any recommendations for a solid, yet cheap unit. How hard are they to install myself?? Could I possibly vent the NG fumes into the hood my current water heater uses?
Cheap and tankless don't go together! DAGS and I'm sure you'll dredge up tons of opinions on tankless heaters. One thing I've been told is that while they work well in high consumption loads, i.e. showers, laundry, sink full of water etc. In low flow situations they don't cut i.e.the short volume needed when washing hands.

You might want to research brands to determine it's gas consumption and determine if you have adequate gas supply to the area where the unit will be located.

Rip
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #12

new water lines

for $200 lousey bucks I can put in a 40 gallon whirlpool. I dont care about your personal problems. I got a functional hot water heater. I'll be dead before it malfunctions. Play a song for me on that harmonica will you.