New Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

New Water Heater

So, I just finished installing our new water heater. I grabbed the 50g Whirlpool 6th sense from lowes and installed in the place of our 13yo 40g popcorn popper:P

The problem has to do with the pilot light not staying lit. The diagnostics indicate one beep with 3 sec interval and according to the manual is due to "low flame," but the water heater will still operate, and it does.

When the heat call comes through the electric ignition starts and the water heats appropriately. However, when the water is done heating the pilot does not remain on. I am almost at a loss. The gas input should be appropriate. I upgraded from 32k to 40k BTU, however, there is plenty of pipe leading up the water heater. (I actually did the calculation). And for those who wish to know the gas line is 1 inch for about 40ft to a coupling about 4 feet from the water heater. I have the drip pipe in place, etc

The furnace is gas, but has an element for ignition. So, I am down to something wrong with the water heater. I haven't pulled out the whole heating assembly yet and I wanted to get anyone else's input to the problem.

Advertisement

cscpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Water Heater

the pilot on any electronic ignition lights up(HWH,FURNACE) cycles off once the main burner comes on and stays off until the next call for heating the water

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-11-2012), jaydevries (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

New Water Heater

That's the question and the dilemma, I guess. I assumed the water heater has a pilot light and the pilot light was ignited by the electric ignition. That was at least my impression reading through the manual, which isn't particularly helpful and why I avoid reading them in the first place:P

This is the water heater in question. If it is supposed to do this then great! I will then openly admit I know nothing and move on
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 552

New Water Heater

i copied this off of the link you posted

Electronic ignition eliminates nuisance pilot outage issues associated with standing pilot models
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 552

New Water Heater

and i will argue that you know nothing since you knew when and where to ask your questions
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

New Water Heater

i assume you meant "know something" I will usually be the first to openly admit I don't know and ask. It saves me a lot of trouble. I just thought the manual didn't expound on this very well. Ah well, alls well that ends well.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,562

New Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscpianoman View Post
i assume you meant "know something" I will usually be the first to openly admit I don't know and ask. It saves me a lot of trouble. I just thought the manual didn't expound on this very well. Ah well, alls well that ends well.
sounds like heater is working right??? or Iam I missing something....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

New Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
sounds like heater is working right??? or Iam I missing something....
The water heater works, I was just confused at how it was working. It has an electric controller on the front that is supposed to show this "heart beat" rhythm to show it is working. It does show that, when the burner turns on. However, when the burner is off it shows an "error" light of one blink with three second pause. According to the manual that is supposed to mean "low flame." Because of the error code, I thought there is supposed to be a pilot light that is lit by the electric ignition mechanism and the pilot then takes care of starting the burner. Apparently it's the electric ignition starts the burner.

Hence the confusion. The heater is awesome, but the documentation leaves something to be desired. So, I think it is working, I just want confirmation that what it is doing is correct.

Last edited by cscpianoman; 05-11-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #9

New Water Heater

Ah man, so now I look up the water heater on whirlpools own site and come across this

http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com...ct.aspx?id=145

"Piezo Electronic Igniter – makes lighting the pilot fast and easy"

Bah! Any thoughts!?

Advertisement