New Underground Gas Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Underground Gas Line

like the title, I need to run a new branch for a natural gas pool heater. It will run along the foundation above grade for 15 feet, and then underground to the pool for another 20 or so feet (or just underground the whole way with my electrical pvc conduit). 200,000 btu heater, thinking either 3/4 or 1 inch black pipe. i plan to wrap the black pipe with underground pipe tape the whole way. then use a flex copper leader (dryer gas hose thing) to connect the black pipe riser to the heater.

is there an easier way to do this? gastite poly flex stuff is an option, but heard the risers are ridiculously pricey.
am i on the right track?

Advertisement

steve f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

New Underground Gas Line

You need to call your inspector and find out what is legal in your area. You probably aren't allowed to burry steal pipe at all for gas anymore. Even if you are where you live it isn't a good idea. Poly is what they are using now, the risers aren't cheap and you have to buy it in big rolls. You also need a certification to buy the stuff most of the time.
For the above ground galvanized pipe is probably fine. Painting it isn't a bad idea though.
For the connection it needs to be hard piped right into the heater, no flex lines.

Advertisement

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Underground Techie

Rewards Points: 75

New Underground Gas Line

I used the yellow plastic gas pipe, and two male adapters to iron pipe thread to mine when I did it. Much easier than shoveling out for iron pipe and room for the pipe wrench.
sevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

New Underground Gas Line

Can the yellow gas line be used outdoor? Can the black gas pipe be used outdoor? I am converting my propane gas grill to natural gas and am running a gas line outdoor above ground just under my deck. I am trying to get an assurance that one of these products can be used outdoor. thanks
handymanwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Underground Techie

New Underground Gas Line

The yellow one is what the gas company uses. It is used underground though, I came out of the ground with iron pipe. By rights you should also run a tracer wire with it, although I did not when I did it, but I know for a fact that it is 5' off my fence. And the Electric is 3' off the fence.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

New Underground Gas Line

Here is a site that might have some info for you...

http://www.omegaflex.com/trac/index.asp

I wanted to use it in my heater install but it only came in fixed lengths much longer than I needed. I decided to just pipe the heater directly from the house (keeping space from the house within specs) using a few feet of iron pipe exposed then use longer pvc water pipes to the pool. I only needed to go about 20' to the pool.

Last edited by handyman78; 05-07-2008 at 10:19 AM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #7

New Underground Gas Line

thanks, what size should I use? I like the idea of yellow poly U.G. and then use pipe adapter nipples and wrapped black pipe risers. The roll of 3/4" poly here is only $20/100' but the fancy risers are $275 each. That's why I was leaning toward all black, a bobcat is trenching so wrench clearance is no prob. No issues in MO with underground pipe and have an out of town pipefitter friend doing it but trying to assemble my pile before he gets here- he doesn't care which way I go and has all tools for poly or iron. AND, I have about 20ft of 3/4" black pipe on hand from an interior basement stove deal.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Underground Techie

New Underground Gas Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve f View Post
thanks, what size should I use? I like the idea of yellow poly U.G. and then use pipe adapter nipples and wrapped black pipe risers. The roll of 3/4" poly here is only $20/100' but the fancy risers are $275 each. That's why I was leaning toward all black, a bobcat is trenching so wrench clearance is no prob. No issues in MO with underground pipe and have an out of town pipefitter friend doing it but trying to assemble my pile before he gets here- he doesn't care which way I go and has all tools for poly or iron. AND, I have about 20ft of 3/4" black pipe on hand from an interior basement stove deal.
I don't think my adapters were that much, like $35 each. From there you can put a 90 and some nipples on to get you out of the ground. Whatever a "riser" is you probably don't need it. And as for the size, what do the instructions for the heater call for according to your distance?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #9

New Underground Gas Line

the riser is made by gastite for yellow pipe and has some sort of fancy no tool quick connect coupler at one end and a rigid section to pop out of the ground. Just checked, and book calls for 3/4 up to 40ft and 1" to 100' so basically my run is smack in the middle, was going to use 1" to be safe but thought I could save a buck and use up my leftover 3/4 stuff I have here.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Underground Techie

New Underground Gas Line

Quote:
the riser is made by gastite for yellow pipe and has some sort of fancy no tool quick connect coupler at one end and a rigid section to pop out of the ground. Just checked, and book calls for 3/4 up to 40ft and 1" to 100' so basically my run is smack in the middle, was going to use 1" to be safe but thought I could save a buck and use up my leftover 3/4 stuff I have here.
Seems like if you aren't afraid of tools, you can save a buck by not using the risers and just using iron pipe.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #11

New Underground Gas Line

thanks again for your help...

I will call around for the yellow to MPT adapters and a roll of underground wrap and make my own fancy risers.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

New Underground Gas Line

For what it's worth....I just had a discussion with my inspector about running a propane line. He said for iron pipe the stuff in the underground has to be factory wrapped.

I know rules are different depending on location, but I just thought I would toss that out. (location Nor Cal bay area)
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

New Underground Gas Line

That's why I told him to speak to the local inspector. A job like this probably needs a permit and an inspection. Fail to get it and your homeowners may not cover you if something goes wrong expecially if you use a non-approved material.
Iron pipe is no longer allowed under ground here. The poly is all you can use. For outdoor above ground pipe you have to use galvanized. Inside is black pipe or stainless flex line. There are many different brands of poly pipe, all have slightly different fittings and the costs vary. A riser for 3/4 pipe is about $175 for the stuff I use.

To the guy who asked about the yellow pipe outside. I take it this is above ground? If it is what kind of pipe are you using? Corregated stainless may or may not be approved depending on your local laws. Call the building department and ask. If you are using poly above ground it is defiantly not approved.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #14

New Underground Gas Line

my protective inspection dept. said black pipe or poly is fine, any and all traces of underground black pipe need to be wrapped by us or factory, we would have to wrap the joints obviously on site. back county missouri may be a bit looser than some places with local codes.
thats why I stated above, the installer does not care what we use, both are approved, so is more a matter of cost.

called a different place and they have 150ft 1" poly for $122 and $85 each for the risers with built in quick connects. whole deal for $300, and my installer has a buyer for the rest of my poly!!

Last edited by steve f; 05-07-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #15

Exclamation

New Underground Gas Line

Quote:
Steve, Where do you get your information? I tried to get information out of the local dealers who sell products used for Propane gas piping and I get zilch.

Is the yellow piping you used UG poly? Does that mean polyethylene pipe? I am not familiar with the abbreviations used in the Propane world.

What book did you find that 3/4 inch could be used only up to 40 feet? I had over 200 feet run with 3/4 inch UG poly. Is that out of code? I live in central New York State and can not find out what the regulations are for Propane Gas.

What is a riser? The pipe coming out of the ground at both ends of the run the gas company installed is 5/8 coated copper pipe. Could this be a riser?

I wasn't present when the pipe was laid and don't know how the copper pipe was connected to the UG poly flexible pipe. If you know I would appreciate the info.

I hope you do not mind me bothering you with my questions, but I need help. bigsky

Advertisement

bigsky1926 is offline   Reply With Quote