Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

(new) toilet tank running unexpectedly

I just bought and installed a Kohler Cimarron One Piece in our home. 1/2 bath on ground floor.

Install was easy even for a knuckleead like me and the potty is pretty nice (for a toilet).

I have noticed that (seemingly) every 5 minutes or so, the tank turns on and runs for a second or two. Sometimes/always? accompanied by a click. I am guessing the click is the water controller (float?) thing turning on...

Just using the power of deduction....it seems the tank is needing to slightly refill. So if thats the case...the water level is going down, yes? So I am guessing it means there is a leak? I see no water on floor...so maybe its leaking into the bowl? I see no appreciable increase in bowl water level.

Any idea why its clicking/refilling? And how to remedy? What might cause? I had this in an old toliet where the flap was dirty and no longer sealing...but this is a brand new potty? Nieghboe told me to check the flap....also see if maybe the potty isn't level..maybe its leaning (not sure what the rationale is there; though it seems fairly level).

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Electrician

It may be leaking through the flapper or into the overflow tube.

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #3

To test for seepage, add a couple cups of black coffee (liquid only, no grounds) to the tank. Watch the bowl for a change in water color. The water in the bowl will not rise with a leak since the extra water will flow over the back side of the trap into the dain line. Even a new toilet can have something sitting on the flapper or sealing surface from the factory. Check and wipe both surfaces off. The ears that hold the flapper on, may also have come loose or tilted during shipping or installation. Make sure they are secure on the overflow.