Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

New toilet on sloping floor

Thank you in advance for you help.

I would like to install a new toilet but my floors are severly sloped. Does anyone have a suggestion to remove the slope so the toilet will be level? I have a radiant heating system under the tiles and would prefer to not have to tear the tiles up in order to resolve the situation. There is over a 1/4" slope just over the width of the toilet.

Help?!?! Thanks agian

kkravec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkravec View Post
Thank you in advance for you help.

I would like to install a new toilet but my floors are severly sloped. Does anyone have a suggestion to remove the slope so the toilet will be level? I have a radiant heating system under the tiles and would prefer to not have to tear the tiles up in order to resolve the situation. There is over a 1/4" slope just over the width of the toilet.

Help?!?! Thanks agian
Use 'wobble wedges'

wedge shaped rubber shims that are designed for this purpose. Use them to level the toilet, and then caulk the joint heavily to cover them. This should be relatively simple for a diy'er. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Thank you for the advise and I bought the shims. Is it possible to caulk/seal the gap if it's 3/8"? It seems like a large gap to try to fill and also to ensure there are no leaks. Thanks again for the assistance.

K
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkravec View Post
Thank you for the advise and I bought the shims. Is it possible to caulk/seal the gap if it's 3/8"? It seems like a large gap to try to fill and also to ensure there are no leaks. Thanks again for the assistance.

K
It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but i've done it before. Sometimes you have to caulk it once just to get a bead in there, and then come back a second time and put a final coat on for aesthetics.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #5

The caulk you put around the base of the toilet isn't to seal leaks. Be sure that you understand that the wax ring and in some cases the black plastic extension incorporated into the wax ring is what keeps the "stuff" in the pipe.

If you shim under one side of your toilet to eliminate the slope, you're very likely going to break the seal on the wax ring that is contained in the toilet's base (around the drain). You will probably need to think about getting a deeper wax ring in order to get the new toilet sealed down correctly.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The caulk you put around the base of the toilet isn't to seal leaks. Be sure that you understand that the wax ring and in some cases the black plastic extension incorporated into the wax ring is what keeps the "stuff" in the pipe.

If you shim under one side of your toilet to eliminate the slope, you're very likely going to break the seal on the wax ring that is contained in the toilet's base (around the drain). You will probably need to think about getting a deeper wax ring in order to get the new toilet sealed down correctly.
I was going to post something like this, but I didn't want to undermine the importance of the caulk keeping potential water from flowing under the toilet and damaging the flooring from below.

Thicker wax rings = or you can try stacking two together.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

I did buy the thicker wax ring for the seal to keep the "stuff" going where it should. My wife and I don't like the way the toilet might look with the large gap taken into consideration. Is there a way to cut the tiles that are on the floor now so we could put the toilet on the subfloor, then use the "wobble wedges" to level it and leave a smaller area to seal/caulk above the tiles. I am just looking into other options and would again appreciate any support that is offered. Would a tile scriber work or does that need to be a free tile? Thank you in advance.

K