Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

New Toilet issue

First, thank you for helping me, I bought a new toilet because 1. my old one was 20 years old and 2. with two teenagers I was tired of using the plunger 6 times a week. I had assumed all newer toilets had 20 years advancement in techology over my old one. I picked a brand name (Kohler) and had 2 installed today. When I saw how it flushed I could not believe how weak the removal was of the water. it has a 5 flush rating. I'm wonderging now if I'm going to have similiar prioblems with toilets pluggin up, the whole reason I bought new, was that I wanted BETTER flushing, and quicker water removal. I did some research, and found a product that goes in the tank to BOOST flushing in a toilet that needs more power. My boys have not truley tested it (if you know what I mean) but I worried that I made a bad purchase. any advice appreciated. gary
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

New Toilet issue

Another thing you may want to consider is that the main drain and/or sewer line may be some what restricted and a simple rodding may correct your issues

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

New Toilet issue

Maybe introduce the teens to the plunger and the joys of the courtesy flush. That will cut down on clogs.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #4

New Toilet issue

LOL, fat chance of that, I was researching, can you modify the inside of the tank to increase flow ability. ?? Gary
Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #5

New Toilet issue

The new toilets are designed to operate with much less water. Make sure you adjust the water level in the tank to it's max, that will help with the flushing issues.

BTW, peer pressure works wonders in clogging issues. I've politely inquired as to who made the clog and when no one owned up to it, I gave the suspects 5 minutes to decide on their own which one did the deed and to take care of it, then after 5 minutes if they couldn't decide, I chose the plunger operator. That might make me a bad dad, but hey, no more clogs !!!
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #6

New Toilet issue

Before you go spending money on something unnecessary, make sure your tank innards are properly adjusted. The water level in the tanks should be about 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube. Flush the unit and see if the flapper falls before the water in the tank has gone into the bowl. This is called a "short flush" and can be remedied by adjusting the chain from the handle to the flapper so that the flapper "just" seals. This helps pull the flapper all the way up when flushing. My thoughts on Power Assisted toilets is that...If you think you need a toilet that will flush 16 golf balls, you probably need a Doctor more than a new toilet.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
DIY Hack

New Toilet issue

There was a time when some mfgs only glazed the bowl, while others glazed the entire trap, which was supposed to create less friction, thus flush better. I was under the impression that these days everyone was glazing traps, but if you bought a cheaper bowl, maybe this isn't the case. You may want to check the specs.

i also think you may want to have someone come in to clean the drain lines, you probably have decades of build-up that are slowing the flow
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #8

New Toilet issue

Thanks guys for all the help, one other question, last night I opened the tank before I flushed, I noticed that when the flapper opens to let the water out of tank, it closes almost immediately, thus leaving 25 of the water still in the tank. I tried it again but this timne I held the lever which also held the flapper open, I released when all the water drained out. I notice that the flush was much stronger when I did that. I then looked at my 22 year old toilet, did the same thing, in the old one, the flapper stayed open till al the water was out, any idea why the new one does this?> is their an adjustment I can make? Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

New Toilet issue

As stated in my previous post, you have a "short flush". Shorten the chain from the handle to the flapper, so that the flapper "just" seals. This should raise the flapper all the way and make it stay open longer.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #10

New Toilet issue

Thanks Dragon, I guess I'm getting potty trained LOL!!!! I think I may try putting 36 golf balls in there just to see how it works after the adjustment!!