Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

new tank poor pressure

9 years ago, we had great pressure in our house, could run both showers and water at sink was fine. Then our old holding tank got a leak so we had it replaced with a new tank (bladder) just like the old one had been. Ever since then we can only run one shower and barely enough coming out of a sink faucet to brush your teeth. The installer has been out twice and checked the pressure 38# and says everything is fine, but it is obviously not the same. I have even shut the pump off, drained the line, checked the pressure and even reset it to 36# since the pump cutoff pressure is 38#. This didn't help at all. Is there anything else I can check - our pump guy is of no help

otisandandy` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 138

new tank poor pressure

That sounds like a low pressure setting to me. Mine is preset to 60 PSI.
Is this old steel plumbing?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 12

new tank poor pressure

Joecaption, the OPS said the pump cutoff pressure was 38 psi. I believe he is probably referring to the pump cut in pressure, since you are correct the cutoff pressure should be around 60 psi. As for the reason for the low flow, there are several possibilities, which any competent pump installer should be able to check:

1. The pump is failing, and can no longer deliver adequate pressure or flow
2. The replacement pressure tank (it is not a holding tank) is defective
3. There is a blockage in the piping, possibly due to a defective valve, corrosion, or debris which came loose during the installation process.

Bear in mind that when you replace a pressure tank, you can impact your system. You generally need to shut the pump off and drain the system, which can cause problems with valves and piping, especially if the piping is corroded and prone to loss of material. You should check the condition of your piping and valves, and verify proper operation of the pump, pressure switch, pressure tank, and all valves.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote