Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New tank new pump, no pressure??

After i got out of the shower this morning i noticed the pump had not turned itself off (above ground well pump).

So i go downstairs to see that there is no pressure building up. I try to fill the tank with air from my compressor to no avail. The system would not build pressure. So i run to my local HD and pick up the exact same tank that was there previously (Flotec 19gal). Installed the new tank after removing the old tank and flipped on the pump... Still would not build pressure! So i back to the local HD and buy a new pump (exact same pump that was existing, flotec 3/4 deep well.)

Primed the pump with water from my neighbors, close all valves and turned on the pump again.... No pressure!! I tried numerous times to prime the system to no avail. So i am here seeking help from a more qualified person. I can not imagine that my well is dry, my neighbors have no issues and the creek across the street seems to be fine. Is there anyway for a novice to perform a well check test?? Could there be something i am missing when priming?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh i hope my well is not dry!!
Thank you
Kyle

Toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

There could be a number of things wrong that would cause your system to not build pressure to cut-off.
Your pressure tank is supposed to be set at two psi below your pump cut-on pressure. If your pump has cut-on/cut-off of 30-50 psi for instance, then the pressure tank should be set at 28 psi. To test the tank pressure, turn off or unplug the pump and drain down all water pressure. Use a tire gauge to check the air pressure in the tank. Bleed it off if it is too high. Air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor if it's too low.
To prime a shallow well pump, you need a gallon jug of drinking water, teflon tape and a wrench. Unplug the pump.
A. Open the largest plug on top of the pump head (3/4") and wrap the plug threads with 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only as the threaded end faces you.
B. Fill the pump head with water, plug in the pump and quickly begin hand-tightening the plug. Air and water will bubble out as you're doing it, but that's normal. Hand tighten the plug and let the pump pick up prime, You should hear a change in pump pitch as it does.
C. If it doesn't pick up prime, repeat the process (including replacing the teflon tape) until it does. Once it does, tighten the plug with the wrench.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

Can you pull the well cover and look? Foot valve could have come off or cracked pipe. Check to see if you have water in the well first. Take a string with a weight on the end. Drop it in and when it hits water mark the string. Then lower til it bottoms out and thats how deep your water is. Any of these you can do.

Last edited by TazinCR; 07-26-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: forgot
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote