Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

New showerbath valve install - Does the pipe going to the tub have to be copper?

I have a new shower / bath valve I am installing. A Kohler push-button diverter.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Rite-Tem...brandId=641138

I have a CPVC piped house here in Florida. I suppose that I will need to use female copper to cpvc connectors for the supply lines, but what about the output lines to the shower and bath spout? Can those be CPVC to where the elbow comes out? In other words, can it be brass fitting to cpvc connector, to another cpvc to copper connector at the elbow and then a screw in copper pipe for the bath spout and 1/2" threaded nipple needed for the hand shower?

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

New showerbath valve install - Does the pipe going to the tub have to be copper?

I guess my real question is, can I do this job without having to solder copper?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

You can use push-fittings like Sharkbite (Home Depot), Gatorbite (Lowes), and TechTite (plumbing supply stores like Ferguson's) but most plumbers (at least the ones I spoke with) do not like using those in an enclosed area because they fear non-sweat connections may eventually leak.

On the contrast, Sharkbite has been around for over 20 years with solid history and it allows you to join different types of pipe materials as well as in tight spaces where you cannot sweat a joint.

I prefer to sweat my pipes but I had to relent and use Sharkbite fittings during my shower remodel few years back due to space constraints. Knock on wood, I have no leaks thus far.

I figured if it started to leak, I would see it on the ceiling below and I can always rip off the sheetrock from the adjoining room for repair.

Good luck.

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 09-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Yeah, those Sharkbite fittings are great. I am using them right now to plug up the ends of my CPVC supply lines coming out of the wall where the old vanity was.

So "real" plumbers don't use Sharbite fittings......

How expensive will it be for me to get into a solder setup so I can do this thing right and sweat these joints together? The actual act of soldering doesn't look too hard, but I don't want to have to buy a lot of equipment to have to do this. (even though I may have to remodel 3 other bathrooms in this house at some point..)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

20 years for sharkbites? Where did you find this information?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

not expensive at all.

1. Bernzomatic Fatboy MAPP
2. Nozzle (don't get the cheap kind, get something like Bernzomatic Trigger start hose - much easier to maneuver)
3. Lead-free solder
4. Flux + brush
5. Flame protector fabric (Oatey heat shield)

You can shop around but the entire setup should be less than 100 bucks (not including fittings, etc.)

Cost wise, it is definitely cheaper than push-fittings, even with super high copper prices.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
20 years for sharkbites? Where did you find this information?
hmm, good question. I thought it was from CashAcme.com (parent of Sharkbite) but I cannot find that info.

Maybe it was the orange-apron dude who told me a long story about Sharkbite fittings being used extensively in Australia before coming to US?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy View Post
hmm, good question. I thought it was from CashAcme.com (parent of Sharkbite) but I cannot find that info.

Maybe it was the orange-apron dude who told me a long story about Sharkbite fittings being used extensively in Australia before coming to US?
Sounds like he pulled a good one over on ya..... i'm checking with cash acme on the actual timeline of sharkbite introduction just for fun..... I'll check back in when i have a response
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

I probably would only need to use push fittings on where the connections come out of the wall. So that would be at the bathtub spout and at the shower outlet, which in this case will be a threaded pipe extruding from the wall that I can screw a handshower to.

So that would be two push connectors? Do they have sharkbite push connector fittings that are elbows with only one side that is a push connector with the other end being a female 1/2" threaded end with the whole piece that can be screwed to a 2 x 4?

The rest would be glued CPVC or the copper to CPVC fittings that go directly on the valve.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by noone; 09-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I probably would only need to use push fittings on where the connections come out of the wall. So that would be at the bathtub spout and at the shower outlet, which in this case will be a threaded pipe extruding from the wall that I can screw a handshower to.

So that would be two push connectors? Do they have sharkbite push connector fittings that are elbows with only one side that is a push connector with the other end being a female 1/2" threaded end with the whole piece that can be screwed to a 2 x 4?

The rest would be glued CPVC or the copper to CPVC fittings that go directly on the valve.

Or am I missing something?
Don't use sharkbite type of fitting on the tub spout. It will not support the spout. Too much play in the connection
Solder the joints. Much more rigid.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

I really didn't want to mess with soldering, but it sounds like its necessary or I may just have to pay a plumber...

Sigh.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I really didn't want to mess with soldering, but it sounds like its necessary or I may just have to pay a plumber...

Sigh.
The money you spend on soldering equip. will probably be equal to the cost of spendy sharkbites. Watch some Youtube videos, practice a little, it's not too tough.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #13

Thanks for inspiring confidence. I'll look into purchasing the equipment vs. hiring a someone for $85 an hour, which I assume is all this will take.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy View Post
not expensive at all.

1. Bernzomatic Fatboy MAPP
2. Nozzle (don't get the cheap kind, get something like Bernzomatic Trigger start hose - much easier to maneuver)
3. Lead-free solder
4. Flux + brush
5. Flame protector fabric (Oatey heat shield)

You can shop around but the entire setup should be less than 100 bucks (not including fittings, etc.)

Cost wise, it is definitely cheaper than push-fittings, even with super high copper prices.
Will this work?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...1#.UElq4mt5mK0
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

you could go old school and use a few galvanized nipples and a 90 for tub diverter so it is rigid

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote