New Septic Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new septic tank

im looking to buy a place in the next month or so.. but the place im looking at needs a new septic tank, the old one is a very old stone septic tank thats not up to code, so before the house can be lived in, this tank needs to be replaced

im certain the leaching system is still good, and that its just the tank itself that needs replacing... which means i will have to do this myself for as cheap as possibly which means undigging the old one, breaking up and removing the stones, and then placing the new tank in its place

so my question here is what should i do, and how large of a tank should i use?.. theres a bar attached to this property i might actually use to open a bar or restaurant as a side business, and its a four bedroom house... how many gallons of a septic tank will i need? and should i go for a plastic tank, or construct one on-site out of concrete?

and lastly, this place is in wisconsin state, so it would need to be up to wisconsin code

Advertisement

jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

new septic tank

Your local health dept. will tell you what size tank to install.

I would use a concrete tank. Plastic tank installations are easy to mess up & you could end up collasping the tank.

In MD if you wanted to open the bar you would have to add a grease trap & size the system to handle 50 GPD per seat.

Advertisement

TOOL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 572

new septic tank

No clue how it works in your area and you had better find out a whole lot more before even concidering buying this place.
Around here no DIY's are allow to do anything to an old septic system except get it pumped out every few years.
Any there's no way any of the three differant states I've live in would allow you to just replace the tank.
That old leach system by now has to be loaded up and need replacing, it's also most likly old failing terra cotta clay tiles or Orangeburg pipes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

new septic tank

well apparently there is no leach system, but a 5,000 gallon holding tank. i wonder if i could bust open the lid of the 5,000 gallon holding tank and build the 1,500 gallon septic tank inside it, then fill it in... i would have to rent a trench digger to dig out the drain field... im wondering how much it would cost for the concrete brick for the 1500 gallon tank, and pipe for the drain system.. also wondering how large of a drain field id need?
jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 572

new septic tank

You can wonder all you want to. The whole idea is a very bad one.
I'd bet if you check into this your going to find there's way more to it then think there is.
Around here you can not even get a loan on a house with an unapproved
and checked septic system.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,204

new septic tank

This is NOT a DIY job. And the questions you have asked tell me you have no idea what you're doing anyway. It is tyically the local health department that tells you what type and size of septic system to install, and where to put it. Around here, it can be installed only by an approved contractor on their list. Unless you can negotiate a significant price reduction for this house, I'd look elsewhere. This issue would have to be resolved before you could move in.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

new septic tank

I just love the reasoning and assumptions of some of these folks, dig up the old and replace with new. they have absolutely no concept of whats required to do a job like this.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
Bondo (04-20-2013), JERRYMAC (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

new septic tank

Since there was no leach field, you need to get someone in to engineer the new leach field from square one. It is possible that the plot of land will not support a leach field sufficient to handle the commercial operation (the bar).

Do all the planning and engineering before digging up anything (other than test bores for such purposes as perc tests).

Selecting the size of the new septic tank is not guesswork. Especially for starting a commercial operation, the new septic tank must be bigger than the old one.

You might be able to use the holding tank as the first chamber of a septic tank as-is (except modify the inlet and add outlet pipe to have proper baffling), then install a second, smaller, tank next to it as the second chamber. (Two chamber tanks are required in many towns nowadays). The main drain would then be run directly to the holding tank and the original stone septic tank decommissioned and filled in.

For those eavesdropping, if a septic tank needs to be replaced, don't forget that it needs to be set at the proper level where the inlet allows the proper slope for the building main drain and the outlet allows the proper slope to the leach field.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

new septic tank

If it is a holding tank your ground probably does not perk, which means if you put in a drainfield it will not work.

You need to re-think this purchase & doing the work yourself.

My rough guess it would be between $60,000.00 - $80,000.00 to have a proper system installed at that site & that does not include being able to use the bar.

Just remember $hit runs downhill until it has no place to go then it runs uphill into the house.
TOOL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,204

new septic tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I just love the reasoning and assumptions of some of these folks, dig up the old and replace with new. they have absolutely no concept of whats required to do a job like this.
Sounds like the next episode of "Disaster DIY."
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #11

new septic tank

having just gone through a septic tank replacement i am in shock that anyone would even think they could attempt this themselves. this thread must a joke???
sky jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,032

new septic tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41987 View Post
well apparently there is no leach system, but a 5,000 gallon holding tank. i wonder if i could bust open the lid of the 5,000 gallon holding tank and build the 1,500 gallon septic tank inside it, then fill it in... i would have to rent a trench digger to dig out the drain field... im wondering how much it would cost for the concrete brick for the 1500 gallon tank, and pipe for the drain system.. also wondering how large of a drain field id need?
best to contact your local jurisdiction and find out their rules and requirements! in my area if you did this you'd be in trouble. we are required to have a design prepared by a professional engineer for any subsurface sewage disposal systems and approval of the local board of health. the permit for the construction of the system must be obtained by a licensed septic installer. The final installation must be approved by the design engineer and the Board of Health.

bars and food establishments have a different set of regulations typically. again a simple call to your board of health will provide you direct answers to your questions.

Good luck!

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote