Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #1

Share |

New Natural Gas pipes being installed

Hi All,

I am installing new Natural Gas from the street into my place & need some advice!

1. The gas pipes coming into the property are two 1/2 inch pipes. The address used to be a duplex but I am turning into a family home. I want to be able to join the 2 pipes into one 1" pipe. Is there some type of connection that can attain this?
2. The current pipes run through the front of the property & then down the side of the house. This gives the pipes easy access down the whole side of the house. My Dad wants me to run the pipes halfway down the front of the house, then drill a 1 & a half inch hole through my brick work, run the gas pipse under a new floating floor that he wants me to install in my computer room, then drill one & a half inch holes through around 10 floor joists, then back out through my brick work near a new gas hot water system. He claims he was advised by online investigation that it is better to have less bends in gas pipes due to the gas flow being affected. (Even though all this extra work, including pulling up tongue in grove floor boards to access the floor joists, only saves four 90 degree turns) The hot water system is a Rinnai Infinity 32. Is this just an absolute waste of time & effort or can the 90 degree turns affect the gas flow that much? The one hot water system will be used by 2 showers & 2 kitchen sinks!
Any assistence in regulations or just common sence would be greatly appreciated as I am having January off for Annual Leave & I don't want to waste the whole month doing needless rubbish!
Cheers!
frplymstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Whatamess

Don't you get two bills each month. I would do away with one line. A 1/2" line feeding a water heater is plenty. If you are concerned about flow which I doubt is and issue use two 45 degree fittings instead of a 90 degree.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #3

this is not a job for a diyer .very dangers gas .you need to sleeve any gas pipe going through a cement wall .also cant in nyc put the trough joist.if 2 meters must get gas company to disconnect meter bar
metx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by metx View Post
this is not a job for a diyer .very dangers gas .you need to sleeve any gas pipe going through a cement wall .also cant in nyc put the trough joist.if 2 meters must get gas company to disconnect meter bar
A DIYer can successfully install gasline. Happens all the time. Running gas through the joists is not against the International Fuel Gas Code.

I would strongly disagree with TazinCR's statement that a 1/2" line is adequate for a water heater. That's not always the case, and most on-demand water heaters like the Infinity 32 will require a larger gasline. Are you located in the USA? The Infinity 32 seems to be a product for the Australia/New Zealand market.

Have you determined that the two 1/2" gaslines that you have will be adequate to serve the gas demands of this appliance? I don't know the project specifics (other gas appliances in the home, length of pipe from the meter to the appliance) but am skeptical.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #5

I am situated in Australia!
There were two gas meters when I 1st got the place, but I had one meter removed & that gas pipe is now capped.
I may have the option of requesting the gas company to change the pipe from a half to an inch feed into the property, but I have to chase up that option today.
A 1" supply should work fine for the heater as the only other appliance would be the stove.
Where the gas meter is at present, there is a 7 meter distance to the side of the house, a 90 degree connetion then 10 meters down the side of the property, another 90 degree turn, 1 meter then another 90 degree turn then 4 meters to where the heater will be mounted on the side of the house. If we do it my dads way, we have to get the gas company to run new pipes from the street to the new position of the gas meter, then 14 meters in a straight line to the heater. This is where it would go through the front wall, through the floor joists & then out another wall to the heater
Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

What kind of piping are you going to use? If it is black iron and going to be run underground then you're going to have to wrap it or face rust issues. Not sure what kind of code issues you're facing, but here in my jurisdiction (Cincinnati, Ohio USA) there's no way you'd get away with installing black iron piping then just burying it. Another issue is the tying together of two pipes. Check with your local gas authority, but here they would make you get a bigger tap from the gas main. As far as the 90s go, you're not going to have enough friction loss to amount to anything of concern. There's no way I'd go through all the trouble your dad is talking about just to save four 90s. Now if it were 40 fittings then maybe.....but there would definitely be other options to be considered before I'd be drilling floor joists and ripping up tongue and groove flooring.

good luck
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #7

Hey JDC, There currently is the black iron piping runniung from the gas metters under ground to where it then goes down the side of the house & it was not wrapped in anything. The old pipe from the 2nd gas meter was rusted to buggery & I cant believe that there was not some kind of leakage from the pipes. We have cut up & removed that piping the same thing has happened to the pipes I am currently using, hence my imediate concern & desire to get replaced asap.
What would you recommend as the first 7 meters of piping will be underground where else the remaining piping will be attached to the side of the house above ground!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

around here the gas company owns all the gas line to the meter,,wont they do it for free?
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Whatamess

1/2" is plenty for a normal gas water heater. Sure if you go with a on demand feeding 6 baths and two kitchens it would not be enough. You mentioned one water heater.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #10

I have spoken to AGL & they have advised that what ever the pipes are coming into the address at present are what it will remain as. I asked if a qualified gas plumber could upgrade the pipe to a 1", which I have been advised is not permissable. They are going to get back to me if I can run two 1/2inch pipes into the meter then have a 1" outlet from the meter!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
1/2" is plenty for a normal gas water heater. Sure if you go with a on demand feeding 6 baths and two kitchens it would not be enough. You mentioned one water heater.
One ON DEMAND water heater. Potentially upwards of 130,000 btu/h's. That's a heck of a lot more gas demand than a conventional 40,000 btu/h tank unit, and how many baths and kitchens it feeds has nothing to do with the gas demand. The gas demand is dictated by the water heater's input rating.

I wish I could be more help, but can't say for sure how they size gasline in Australia.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #12

2 joined 1/2" pipes do not carry the same volume as a 1" pipe; more like a 3/4" pipe. If your appliance requires a 1" input, that means 1" from the main line. Two 1/2" pipes will severely bottleneck your gas flow before it gets to the 1". Not sure what things you may face because of this, but the mathematician in me had to bring that up
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
2 joined 1/2" pipes do not carry the same volume as a 1" pipe; more like a 3/4" pipe. If your appliance requires a 1" input, that means 1" from the main line. Two 1/2" pipes will severely bottleneck your gas flow before it gets to the 1". Not sure what things you may face because of this, but the mathematician in me had to bring that up
This is 100% true. For example, two 1/2" pipes will supply 146,000 btu/h on a 50' run (assuming they're hooked up to the same run), whereas a 1" pipe will supply 285,000 btu/h on the same 50' run. That is a BIG difference.